hpr1350 :: The Origin of ONICS (My Intro)
This show is about the Open Network Inspection Command Suite (ONICS). It is a project I have been working on at home for a couple of years now. The idea is to create a set of command line tools that work like cat, sed, awk, grep, etc but for network packets instead of lines of text. This podcast is actually less about the tools and more about the process that I went through to build it. So its more a tale of the project that was never done than an explanation of how to use the tools.
- Gabriel Evenfire email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ONICS Gitorious Page: http://gitorious.org/onics
- ONICS Wiki Page: http://gitorious.org/onics/pages/Home
Quick Start Guide for Building ONICS
- git clone git://gitorious.org/catlib/catlib.git catlib
- git clone git://gitorious.org/onics/onics.git onics
- cd catlib/src
- cd ../../onics
- sudo make install # (optional)
The microphone I ended up jury rigging to record this:
- ogg: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1350.ogg
- spx: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1350.spx
- mp3: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1350.mp3
I love that you gave us all the opportunity to experience this project at it's inception. So many of the tools that we use and admire have great stories behind them, and I've wondered what it would have been like to be there at the beginning. Would we have been able to contribute feedback or suggestions or even just encouragement? Would we have recognized their importance without the benefit of hindsight? I think I know the answer now.
Thank you, Gabriel, for taking the time to share ONICS with us, and for making an episode of HPR about it. It was a delight to listen to.