I talk about the process of getting Ubuntu onto my son's UEFI-secured laptop.
Hosted by Jon Kulp on 2015-09-10 is flagged as Clean and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (0)
- Getting to BIOS
- In Windows, go to Settings
- Search for advanced startup options
- Follow your nose to Boot to UEFI settings
- Can also get there by doing
Shift+click on the
Shutdown buttons then clicking through to advanced options until you find "enter setup." Pressing
F2 never worked for me
- In the BIOS
- Security tab: disable "Secure Boot Control"
- Boot tab: disable "Fast Boot"
- Boot tab: Here Asus support says to enable "launch CSM" (Compatibility Support Mode) but it wouldn't boot from the Ubuntu USB image this way. It worked when I left CSM disabled. I bet CSM works with a Windows or DOS USB.
- Plug in USB with Ubuntu image on it
- Restart computer and hold ESC key down, forcing windows boot menu to appear
- Choose the USB drive to boot from, off you go!