[Hpr] I hear and obey...

epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
Thu Nov 4 14:27:15 PDT 2010

The voice on HPR#0587, which I just listened to yesterday, commanded me to
join the mailing list, so here I am...

I only occasionally listen to HPR because so far the topics only occasionally
interest me, and find a couple of technical issues with the feed annoying.

However, I'm a wannabe pod/oggcaster and I have a little amateur web-
development experience (only a little, but enough to get some things done), so
there's a small but non-zero chance that maybe I can end up helping instead of
sitting here whining.

<whining>
Aside from the complete lack of an Ogg Vorbis feed (which was addressed in
Episode 587 - at least to the extent of mentioning that such a feed was
desirable), I hate the way the feed comes across as a malformatted stream of
continuous plain text.  This is especially annoying when the feed appears to
intend to include links to somewhere else.  For example, Episode 588 looks
like this in dPod (Android):

"Klaatu An interview with Brian Smith SELF Interviews Klaatu interviews Brian
Smith from dns.com. Listen to the ogg vorbis version courtesy of your friends
at the Bad Apples GNU Linux Oggcast."

As I recall, I get the same effect in Akregator, and I presume other feed
readers do the same thing...The only link reachable from the entry is to the
.mp3 in the enclosure.
</whining>

It sounds like submissions for HPR are pre-made by the submitters, then
uploaded by FTP (people still use FTP?...) to be placed directly in the feed
by an administrator.  Episode 587 mentioned the difficulties with getting proper
metadata to put in the files.  Would a web interface for submitting shows,
including a form with fields for entering the relevant metadata be more useful?
Hypothetically, the same interface could submit the uploaded file and metadata
to a scriptable tag editor and/or re-encoding software to generate mp3 and/or
ogg vorbis/speex files as needed.

I suppose while it's at it, it can also cure cancer, feed the poor, and
generate an Android 2.1 upgrade for the Motorola CLIQ(tm)...

At least, I imagine all this is possible (except maybe the Motorola CLIQ
thing).  Since I've never tried to do any of this myself yet, I figure now is a
good time to suggest it before I know better.

Anyway, not sure if I'll end up being any help, but here I am.