[Hpr] I hear and obey...

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 02:44:09 PDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:27 PM,  <epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net> wrote:
> <whining>
> Aside from the complete lack of an Ogg Vorbis feed (which was addressed in
> Episode 587 - at least to the extent of mentioning that such a feed was
> desirable), I hate the way the feed comes across as a malformatted stream of
> continuous plain text.  This is especially annoying when the feed appears to
> intend to include links to somewhere else.  For example, Episode 588 looks
> like this in dPod (Android):
>
> "Klaatu An interview with Brian Smith SELF Interviews Klaatu interviews Brian
> Smith from dns.com. Listen to the ogg vorbis version courtesy of your friends
> at the Bad Apples GNU Linux Oggcast."
>
> As I recall, I get the same effect in Akregator, and I presume other feed
> readers do the same thing...The only link reachable from the entry is to the
> .mp3 in the enclosure.
> </whining>
You raise an interesting point about the use of links in the show
notes. If you go to the website http://www.hackerpublicradio.org you
will see that in some episodes there are hyper links but these do not
get transposed into the <description> tag on the rss feed. The reason
for this is probably that the rss 2.0 specification
http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification has a separate tag for
links. So if links were in the Description tag then you would expect
some readers to display the link, others would display the html and
even more I fear would crash. I guess we could change the <link> item
to point to a page for that show on the hpr website, so that you could
get to the real links from there. That said, I'm not sure if the
podcatchers you are using would support the <link> tag.

Has anyone else suffered from this ?

> It sounds like submissions for HPR are pre-made by the submitters, then
> uploaded by FTP (people still use FTP?...)
Yes in fact it still still remains the most efficient way to transfer
files directly between two computers.

> to be placed directly in the feed
> by an administrator.  Episode 587 mentioned the difficulties with getting proper
> metadata to put in the files.  Would a web interface for submitting shows,
> including a form with fields for entering the relevant metadata be more useful?
You also need to remember that many hosts would prefer to automate the
work stream on their sides and a web interface is not the best way to
do that. However the  web interface would be a good way for some hosts
to upload the shows and I have been doing some work on this already.
The way I envision it is that the web interface would simply upload
the show and create an associated text file in the correct format. The
same format would be used by the users that wish to FTP directly. The
problem is that as yet I'm not 100% sure what the correct format is.
I've made a start here
http://www.hackerpublicradio.org/incoming/INBOX_upload_your_show_here/README.txt

> Hypothetically, the same interface could submit the uploaded file and metadata
> to a scriptable tag editor and/or re-encoding software to generate mp3 and/or
> ogg vorbis/speex files as needed.
As I said in the podcast all this is only possible if the metadata is
correct. But you also need to remember that some hosts like to do
their own encoding and would prefer that the files were not modified
in any way.

> I suppose while it's at it, it can also cure cancer, feed the poor, and
> generate an Android 2.1 upgrade for the Motorola CLIQ(tm)...
>
> At least, I imagine all this is possible (except maybe the Motorola CLIQ
> thing).  Since I've never tried to do any of this myself yet, I figure now is a
> good time to suggest it before I know better.
>
> Anyway, not sure if I'll end up being any help, but here I am.

I've put up a list of Requested topics on
http://hackerpublicradio.org/contribute.php. If there is any of them
that you can do then please record a show. As can be seen from
http://hackerpublicradio.org/calendar.php there are only two weeks
worth of shows left.