[Hpr] I hear and obey...

epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
Sun Nov 7 11:43:40 PST 2010

On Friday 05 November 2010 09:44:09 Ken Fallon wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:27 PM,  <epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net> wrote:
> > <whining>
[...]
> > </whining>
>
> You raise an interesting point about the use of links in the show
> notes. [...] That said, I'm not sure if the
> podcatchers you are using would support the <link> tag.
>
> Has anyone else suffered from this ?

I hadn't thought much about the technical details of the XML, so that's good
to know.  I'm ashamed to admit I was thinking much more from the whiny-user
perspective of "these OTHER feeds work"...

(I went and looked at the source of the Linux Outlaws oggcast feed as an
example, which typically includes full HTML-style show notes including links
which work at least in dPod on Android and in Akregator and liferea.  It looks
like they're literally just pasting HTML into the <description> section, and
despite the HTML being converted (e.g. "<a
href="http://nakedmidgetjellowrestling.org">", etc.) the HTML appears to
work from within the feed readers I use.)

I'm wondering if anyone would actually have problems if the apparent HTML-
formatting-stripping were omitted from the feed processing, which would leave
the formatting intact.

> > It sounds like submissions for HPR are pre-made by the submitters, then
> > uploaded by FTP (people still use FTP?...)
>
> Yes in fact it still still remains the most efficient way to transfer
> files directly between two computers.

I should clarify that this was more good-natured offhand bemusement at the
persistence of FTP than a serious complaint, although a bored nerd might argue
whether it was really all that efficient.

("I mean, really, FTP is holdover from the era of ARCHIE and GOPHER!  When was
the last time you heard of some crazy wierdo still using GOPHER....oh.  Wait.
Never mind.  Sorry Klaatu/Lostnbronx/ et al." <insert "smiley" of choice
here>)
> [...]
> > Hypothetically, the same interface could submit the uploaded file and
> > metadata to a scriptable tag editor and/or re-encoding software to
> > generate mp3 and/or ogg vorbis/speex files as needed.
>
> As I said in the podcast all this is only possible if the metadata is
> correct. But you also need to remember that some hosts like to do
> their own encoding and would prefer that the files were not modified
> in any way.

What I originally had in mind for a web-uploading interface would have been a
"fill in the blanks" form to guide show hosts in getting the appropriate
metadata submitted (plus a "file upload" to submit the recording itself at the
same time).

Sounds like you're already working on whatever interface things like that you
need,  though, so never mind.  I wasn't sure if you had any need for volunteer
website manglers or not...

> I've put up a list of Requested topics on
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/contribute.php. If there is any of them
> that you can do then please record a show. As can be seen from
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/calendar.php there are only two weeks
> worth of shows left.
>
> Ken.

I've got a couple of topics I've been considering doing, though none of the
ones on that list - I assume that's okay, though.