[Hpr] I hear and obey the RSS feed's commands

epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Nov 10 13:32:18 PST 2010

On Tuesday 09 November 2010 14:22:49 Ken Fallon wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up and I think I found out why the html is
> been converted to text. We use the same text for the <itunes:summary>
> and the <description>. The <itunes:summary> doesn't allow html while
> the description does.

So...basically it's all Apple's fault.  I should have known.  Dang iTunes(tm).
On the upside, that means learned something today (thanks).

> I've run rss validation on both the hpr and linux outlaws feed and
> both fail validation (http://www.rssboard.org/rss-validator/) so an
> update to the rss feed is probably necessary. Given there is 12G
> sitting behind the feed I'm *very* reluctant to change anything
> without throughly testing it first.

To be fair, I get the impression that a large proportion of sites don't bother
to validate their feeds and end up causing problems in some feed-readers
(and conversely the feed-readers that don't have problems presumably end up
needing special code to work around invalidities.)

> I'm going to do a bit of research into the correct format of the feeds
> before I do anything else but I will be looking for testers of an
> alternative test feed when I'm done. Volunteers ?

Hey, it was my complaining that brought this on, so it seems only fair that I
volunteer to help test the feed.  Sign me up!

I could stand some hands-on experience with RSS anyway...