[Hpr] HPR (not)RIP ?

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:12:43 PDT 2010

It's great to hear all the positive feedback. So now let's concentrate
on making HPR steam along again. One of the things I enjoy most about
the feed is getting a new show every day. I know Arron suggested
dumping several shows at once but I believe that "one show a day -
every day" builds trust and retains listeners. I'm not against sending
multiple shows down at the one time but I do like the bargain of "tune
in tomorrow for something completely different".

First things first is to get the shows flowing again. I'd also like
echo Arron's offer to assist Enigma as I think the time zone
difference can give us some round the clock coverage. I would also
like to assist in automating the process of posting the shows as much
as possible. I say this without having any knowledge of the underlying
systems but where possible we should try and have the hosts populate
the metadata for the feed.

Communication:
We need a place to communicate with the admins, other correspondents
and the community at large. We have this mailing list but it's not
publicized on the website nor in the shows themselves. I would like to
see a range of options to give feedback because if we can get someone
interested enough to give feedback then that's the first step to
roping them into doing a show, and then another etc. I like the idea
of a wiki but whatever we decide on we can publish it on the website
as well as modifying the Intro/Outro to include a getting involved
message that the hosts can refer to. Would oggcastplanet.org be the
official IRC or has Bin Rev some services to offer ?

Calendar:
I know some people hate the calendar while more people love it so I
suggest we just use a (google type) calendar where correspondents can
set up recurring episodes. While anyone else can add a show for a
particular day. If we need to password protect against spammers we can
add the password to the getting involved message in the Intro/outro.

Building a stock of episodes:
It would probably be a good idea to have a pool of 'spare' episodes
that go out when there is nothing else available or when someone
forgets to post. These might be narrated by Lyn or Dan E. Speak (yes I
have a script that will take a URL and convert it to a HPR episode -
Klaatu.) or they might be a 'shot-of-hack' type show. To encourage
contribution we should have an area dedicated to showing people how to
record a show. Starting at the "press record on your sansa" level, up
through editing in audacity. If there are links to other sites and
tutorials let's use them but at least have the information in one
place. It might be a good thing to have a place where listeners can
suggest a show topic. That way an expert in that field can record a
quick show if they like or if you're simply devoid of inspiration do
it yourself.

Feeds:
I know we agreed to do this before but it never came to pass but we
should offer a OGG/Vorbis feed. I also have a script to convert audio
to speex so a feed for that would be cool as well. Given the CC
license we could also (automatically) cross-post to archive.org
increasing our exposure. In planning for my bash scripting series I've
been thinking that a multimedia feed would be a nice feature, where
one could add additional material like show notes, cheat sheets,
slides, pdf's  etc ?

Spreading the Word:
One of the most serious omissions of the current site is the lack of a
"who are we, what do we do page" to explain what HPR is and what it's
about. I know it's covered in episode 1 but it would be good for the
new listener/contributer to know what we are and what we stand for.
The are some excellent promos for getting listeners but we should also
try and get some promos requesting contributers. If we are going to do
a relaunch or "season 2" type deal, then it may be a good time to get
some hosts on to other shows to do interviews about HPR. It would be
nice to have downloadable material that someone could use at a booth
at at a hacker meetup. Does anyone have a SVG version of the logo or
even know who made it ? Needless to say we can get publicity by
spreading the word on the micro blogging sites and through groups on
the social networking sites.

Ken.
HPR is dead. Long live HPR.