[Hpr] What codec to use, Was: Re: Need Tech Supporters for HPR Live Show

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Fri Dec 30 09:50:54 PST 2011

I am painfully familiar with why this is an issue.  I signed in for an HPR
book club show a week ago, and could not get Mumble to work on the laptop I
was using, which was the first time I'd have any problem with Mumble.

Long story short: I had installed Celt 0.7.1-ish and the other two chat
participants had CELT 0.11.x.  I thought, surely it 's not the version of the
codec? how could anyone expect to control the version of the codec that 8 or 9
or even just 3 people are using in a chat?

Turns out...that was it.  I removed Celt 0.7.x and installed 0.11.x and
suddenly we were in business.  Apparently there was some major protocol change
between Celt 0.7.x and 0.11.x that literally makes the two useless in talking
to one another.

Seems insane to me, but what do I know? I'm just a user.

But anyway, that's why the CELT thing is sort of an issue.  So yes, Speex
should work, regardless of point-whatever release versions.

--klaatu