[Hpr] Syndicated shows

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 22:10:16 PST 2011

Hi All,

I'm running into some difficulties with how best to address syndicated
shows and I'd appreciate your feedback.

The background is that I'm trying to specify scheduling rules
(http://hackerpublicradio.org/calendar.php) trying to been fair to
everyone but also with a view to automating the task. I've taken the
view that shows produced for HPR will get priority in the schedule
before syndicated shows. This brings up the question of what is a
syndicated shows.

If a show is posted to a RSS feed before been posted to HPR then it
would be considered to be a syndicated show. However we have had
resubmission of a series that was on a podcast that faded so probably
noone heard them. Are theses shows now syndicated or do I schedule
them as HPR shows ?

We have also had submissions from a host that posts to the HPR FTP
server and their own feed at the same time. Because of the delay in
HPR scheduling they come out later than their own RSS feed. So are
these also now syndicated ?

I'd appreciate your feedback.