[Hpr] Casting Call: Hacker Public Radio Audiobook production.

Patrick Dailey pdailey03 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:29:22 PDT 2011

A while back 5150 proposed that we produce an audiobook using only HPR
contributors as actors. Several people Responded positively, and said they
would like to participate. Well, we now have a script. It was originally
written as a screenplay, so it needs a little work to make the visual bits
work as audio only, but I don't think that will take too long. It's almost
ready to go as is. 5150 and Integgroll have stepped up to help me make
editorial and casting decisions and get other producer type stuff done.

This is a casting call of sorts. We need some voice actors, but we'll also
need some sound effects, and perhaps some music. I may ask people to create
sound effects, and upload them to the freesound project, or just to find
such sounds. I'm not sure what We'll need yet, but I'd like to know who's
interested in helping out. I was considering asking the Open Source
Musician's Podcast to consider doing a "tune storm" for some music, but I'd
like to know if you guys think we should keep it all in house, or
collaborate on that.

The story is a SciFi/adventure that's also a lighthearted Free Software
allegory, so it's a perfect fit for HPR. It will run between 50 and 80
minutes, I think, so it may be broken up into two or three episodes if it's
too long for just one. I'm really not sure.

The plan is to record with actors using mumble but also recording locally to
get the best possible sound quality. I'll mix it all in audacity, unless
someone else wants that job, or wants to do it with ardour or whatever.

As is, There are 4 male roles, 3 female roles, and 6 androgynous roles. Most
of the male and female roles could be swapped also to match our supply of
actors. If we get more people than that, We'll add parts to make sure that
everyone who's interested can participate. The protagonist and major roll is
female. She will have a majority of the speaking parts, thus the biggest
time commitment of all the actors.

If you're interested, please send me a voice sample so I can sort out the
cast, or let me know what you're willing to do so I have some idea about
that too. Please use my personal email address for this so that we don't
clutter up the regular mailing list. pdailey03 at gmail.com

Thank you for hearing me out on this.

--
pokey

Not sent from an iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android or any other such hipster
device.