[Hpr] HPR Theme

Klaatu gort.klaatu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:28:27 PDT 2011

I have to agree.  The new themes are neat and all, but they are no equal for
the retro feel of the current theme.  Also, there is solid brand awareness
with the current theme.  It IS hacker public radio.  You wouldn't go and
change, say, the Star Trek theme music would you?  Well, unless you were
rebooting.  But we're not rebooting.

As for the intro being shorter.  What I try to do is, like Slick0 says, fade
the intro down very softly after the initial 10 seconds, and bring in the
voices.  If you do this carefully, and mind your levels, you can have a bit
of a mix as the intro plays itself out and the show begins.  You can even
script it with soemthing like sox hpr_intro.flac -m hpr_publican.wav
mixed.flac (which admittedly doesn't have any delay; voice and intro start a
the same time, but you get the idea).

-- klaatu

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM, lostnbronx <lostnbronx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I don't like any of the new themes.  The highly orchestrated
> one seems like a pretentious network news broadcast, and the other one
> wasn't memorable at all.  What, exactly, is the motivation for a new
> theme?  Have there been complaints about the old one?
>
> I believe that there really is a fair amount of brand awareness
> associated with the current tune.  If it's sounding a little long in
> the tooth, then I suggest asking the more musical members of the HPR
> community to come up with a new arrangement of the old theme --
> something immediately identifiable as HPR, but more updated-sounding?
> I don't even know if that's possible, but it would be nice.
>
> Oh, and it would be VERY nice if it the Intro theme was made much
> shorter!  Honestly, it really doesn't need to be over 10 to 15
> seconds.  Regular listeners have to sit through that thing five times
> a week, and its sole purpose is to identify the show as HPR.  A quick
> riff on the old theme would accomplish this, and get right into the
> content.  The Outro theme can be as long as it needs to be, to get the
> hosting and contact info out there: anyone interested in that will
> have no problem sitting through it, while everyone else can just skip
> it.

---
uzu linukso. subtenu libera programaro.
kotizu al oggcastplanet.org/gnuWorldOrder
fedorareloaded.com