[Hpr] php script to redirect url to an ice cast url

Krayon hpr2010 at datapax.com.au
Wed Dec 12 23:12:32 PST 2012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:43:58 +0100
Ken Fallon <ken.fallon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone know a way to redirect a URL to a icecast url ?

One way I was thinking we could do this was just DNS but it would
require us all to use the same path.

As I said the other week in IRC, I thought since we have multiple
streams, it may be an idea to have a page like this:
  http://www.qdnx.org/hpr/

It just scrapes the listener count from the IceCast page.

Kwisher and I have tested the 2 streams he has for load and I'll do the
same for mine soon.  Having this data, we could do one or more of the
following:
  1. Allow users to choose a stream that works for them, basing the
  decision on number of listeners or other factors.

  2. Using PHP header redirect, it's trivial to automate the load
  distribution to ensure no one server gets more than it can handle.

Is there any reason we shouldn't do the PHP header redirect method?

--
Krayon
~o~