[Hpr] http://beta.hackerpublicradio.org/

chattr lsattr.chattr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:15:43 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:43:15AM -0500, Frank Bell wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:54:16 -0800 (PST)
> Matthew K <matt_hew at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is no visible button to subscribe to the RSS. There is also no link to the RSS. That should probably be big and bold since many people will use some RSS reader or podcast software to see the new content.
>
> Just as a footnote, the RSS symbol in the browser address field allows subscriptions, but Matthew K is on to something.  It's easily overlooked.
>
> The WordPress default setting is to display two feed options (comments or posts) when it's clicked.
>
> The complete Meta widget in Appearance-->Widgets includes the same subscription options (comments or posts).  Addition options could be configures in a text widget.
>
> I think having a page with multiple subscription options, as with the current site, is a good thing.
>
> In my browser, it looks as if the favicon is missing from the beta site.

tl;dr:  I've never seen rss info displayed on the beta site, in any
browser.

Here, running chrome 18.0.1025.11 beta, chromium 16.0.912.77, and
firefox 10.0.1, I get no RSS icon in any of the address bars.  I'm on
debian testing.

That's with noscript, but in firefox, if I disable noscript and
temporarily allow all, I still see no icon in the ff address bar.

Likewise, searching the page for rss returns nothing.  So, what that
boils down to is that if I didn't know rss was available, I would assume
rss wasn't, and would have to rely on gpodder's auto-discovery, which
does work on gpodder 2.20.

I wouldn't expect galeon or midori to display the icon in their
address bars, and they don't.  But, neither of those browsers renders
the page with any rss info available with <ctrl>-f.