[Hpr] Vote on removing non HPR shows.

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 01:39:17 PDT 2012

TOPIC CHANGE from "Re: [Hpr] Hpr Digest, Vol 49, Issue 2"

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 23:08:39 -0500
Fifty OneFifty <fiftyonefifty at linuxbasement.com> wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I don't know what to say (though I have made what I thought were
> humorous comments on other podcasts).  I submitted a full week's
> worth of content in July (3 original shows and two syndicated I was
> involved in)  that are still a good two weeks out of showing up on
> HPR.  I loved all you original stuff from OggCamp, and catching up on
> everything from last year, but I think we are getting a rep for stale
> shows you can find elsewhere  (no intended offense to our syndication
> partners).   Expect a show on my ODroidX (which I am sure many folks
> are tired of hearing about) AND gv-20 very soon
>
> 5150

Hi 5150,

I appreciate where you are coming from but if you look at the queue
you'll see that it's made up of shows from what I'd consider HPR
regulars.

Ahuka will have released 12 shows this year.
Frank_Bell 7 shows this year
mrgadgets 4 shows this year (21 last year)
Seetee 5 shows this year
sigflup 6 shows this year
5150 5 shows this year, not counting your appearances on the HPR
Community news

Which leaves two episodes from Door2DoorGeek and another from
BuyerBrown. Neither can be classified as 'unknown' in the podcasting
community. My email was a request to get new hosts or to get previous
dormant hosts to send in new shows.

Personally I think that the comments about stale content are unhelpful.
The majority of HPR content is timeless, in so far as they are as valid
today as they were when they were submitted. If any show is time
sensitive, we can and do bump them up. The fact that your shows have
not come out yet are as a result of a splurge of shows been submitted
after the new year and been processed according to the scheduling rules.

The only way to eliminate the queue quicker is to open the flood gates
and let everything out as soon as it comes in. Which would mean a flood
of shows a few times a year.

The other option is to remove syndicated content. Since our last
discussion on this topic we have dropped the Sunday Morning Linux
Review. Which leaves:

Syndicated Thursdays, providing 25 shows. And TGTM News HPR Tech
Edition which is a subset of TGTM News itself, providing 21 shows. That
is a total of 46 shows minus the 13 non syndicated shows in the queue,
means that we would have run out of shows on the 20th of August.

Following the discussions last time, I understood that the community
wanted to maintain both shows but I may have been mistaken. I don't
want to go over this again and again so if no-one objects I would like
to have the community vote on whither to drop ST and/or TGTM news.

I suggest that we open a poll starting at the beginning of the October
HPR Community News recording (2012-11-03T19:00:00Z), running for a
month and ending at the start of the November HPR Community  News
recording (2012-12-01T19:00:00Z).

Anyone that wishes to argue their point can do so in person on the
October HPR Community News recording (2012-11-03T19:00:00Z), via
recorded segments, or email transcript.