[Hpr] Vote on removing non HPR shows.

Frank Bell frankwbell at cox.net
Wed Oct 10 15:33:45 PDT 2012

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:45:59 -0400, Rebecca Newborough
<bobobex at bobobex.org> wrote:

> There may be an assumption being made here, but when I think of HPR
> shows, I automatically think technical information giving. Does HPR have
> a specific genre of topic that is covered or does anything go? If
> anything goes, then I think that more people may contribute shows based
> on their other interests/hobbies etc (i.e. non-linux/open source
> specific).

My experience has been that HPR interprets "hacker" in the very loose
sense of taking things apart, figuring out what makes them tick, and
putting them back so they are better or so they do something their
creators did not contemplate (my, that's wordy!).  I find, and I think
lots of others share this, that one of the pleasures of HPR is the variety
which comes of finding something unexpected in your podcatcher every
morning.

  Though most shows are somehow Linux and computer related, there have been
shows on soldering, urban camping (you can find that series by clicking
the In Depth Series link on the front page), stocking your pantry in
anticipation of a natural or unnatural disaster, and other unusual and
non-computer-related topics.

I can attest, as someone who is very new to trying to making podcasts,
this is a very welcoming community.  True, my few efforts have been techy,
but techy is where I spend most of my days.  (The rest are spent with
politics, and HPR is a nice respite from that.)

In other words, pick a topic and go for it.

--

Blogging From Pine View Farm.  Updates daily; worthwhile updates
occasionally.  http://www.pineviewfarm.net/weblog.