[Hpr] pokey is a real wind bag... tldr

Frank Bell frankwbell at cox.net
Wed Oct 10 18:35:07 PDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 08:46 PM, Patrick Dailey wrote:
> When new hosts do show up, they always seem to be pretty excited about
> contributing. Most of them seem keep contributing for about as long as
> they stay excited, and when the excitement wears off, they stop.

Some random reactions:

Speaking as a relatively new contributor who is determined to continue
contributing (thanks in great part to the welcoming spirit of this
community), the worst obstacle I face, now that I've exhausted the
topics that seemed obvious to me, is coming up with ideas that I think
folks would find interesting *and* that haven't been beat to death.

I got another idea today, thanks to the HPR suggested topics list (the
same place I got the idea for the WordPress series) so I would encourage
anyone with a topic to add to that list to send it in.

I agree that positive reinforcement could be a big help for persons
tempted to pod-fade when they find out that there's more to recording a
podcasting than plugging in a mike and talking for a bit.  It takes
planning on the front end and editing on the back end, and positive
feedback is a wonder stimulus in a volunteer community.

I'm not sure that another round-table will inspire participation, but
then again I must admit that the New Year's round-table inspired me to
move from considering maybe thinking about trying my hand at podcasting
to actually plugging in a mike and learning how to use Audacity.