[Hpr] Vote on removing non HPR shows.

Kevin O'Brien zwilnik at zwilnik.com
Thu Oct 11 13:26:24 PDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 4:45 PM, Rebecca Newborough wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Please go easy on me, other than my hello post, this will be my first
> "proper" post to the list. :)
>
> I am an avid HPR listener, and as others have mentioned in earlier
> posts, there are some types of shows I skip through and others that I
> listen to end to end depending on the topic.
>
> I like the quirky shows that are not overly technical and keep me
> entertained as I listen - dev/random last month was epic (I'm still
> chuckling about merkins!) and The Stream show just made me want to pee
> as I was driving home!  I would love to give something back to the
> community and contribute a show to HPR however, I find that as soon as
> I start to think of a suitable topic to talk about, I then start to
> suffer from a lack of courage in my ability to contribute anything
> that the HPR community would want to listen too - especially
> considering that I am a non-technical Linux user. Don't get me wrong,
> I can talk and I think I am entertaining in my own uniquely female
> way, but would anyone want to listen to me? Probably not.
>
> There may be an assumption being made here, but when I think of HPR
> shows, I automatically think technical information giving. Does HPR
> have a specific genre of topic that is covered or does anything go?
>  If anything goes, then I think that more people may contribute shows
> based on their other interests/hobbies etc (i.e. non-linux/open source
> specific).  If I were a brand new listener to HPR and listened back to
> a week or month's worth of shows I would definitely be left with the
> impression that HPR was targeted at a specific audience.
>
> OK, enough rambling from me - I'm off to put my thinking cap on for a
> show!
>
> Cheers
>
> Becky Newborough

Becky, *I* want to hear what you have to say. I think what matters is
what you are passionate about. If you are passionate, you will find
listeners who respond to your passion with interest. Whereas if you were
to try and do an "HPR-style" show that you really didn't care all that
much about, it would not be interesting at all. The variety of things
people post is actually pretty broad, even if on the whole there is a
tech focus. If you are on this list, then you are using a computer, and
if you are listening to HPR you are probably using software to download
and manage files, and a player to play them on. Does that all work
exactly the way you like, or wold you like to see some changes? Just
some thoughts here.

Kevin B. O'Brien
zwilnik at zwilnik.com
"A damsel with a dulcimer in a vision once I saw."