[Hpr] Embarrassing queue, and Nuclear Option

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:45:47 PDT 2012

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:43:54 -0400
Patrick Dailey <pdailey03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I for one already have a show in the "only if we have nothing
> else to play" queue. It's been there for months. If we run out of
> episodes, you guys have to listen to how I cook eggs. They're good
> eggs, so I'm not embarrassed of the episode. It's more of a
> punishment/shaming, like "*this*is what we have to resort to because
> *you* did not participate like you should have. Now all your friends
> will know it too."
Yip that's where I got the idea and I'm very tempted to listen to your
show as well.

> I can't say that I like the Mutually Assured Destruction option
> though. Mostly because if we ever get that close to the end, I'm
> going to loose a lot of sleep staying up late to produce shows to
> keep it from happening. And I can name four or five (probably a dozen
> if I thought about it longer) other guys (and guy-ettes) who would do
> the same. I don't think there ought to be a vote that could
> potentially condemn a handful of us to that via the greater
> community's inaction.

Well that's exactly how I feel every time the queue goes low.

Back on 2010-08-02 lostnbronx released "hpr0560 :: Old soldiers"
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=0560 where he suggested that
any podcast owed it to their listers to finish with dignity and not just
podfade. At the time the HPR releases were sporadic and that prompted
me to open my big mouth and ask the question "Is HPR dead and if so
let's put it away with dignity - if not let's revive the sucker." Well
you all revived it and that was the hard part. Now all we have to do is
keep it ticking over. I want HPR to continue but nothing lasts forever.
Personally I think it would be nice to have shows in the dead queue
ready to go.

With that in mind can I suggest that we record the "Last HPR show"
during the New Year event. We could make it a bit of a tradition that
we record another last show every year. That way the last episodes, when
the come, will be of friends chatting and having a good time.

I was also thinking of recording HPR0000 then to put at the beginning of
the queue. We would ask people who are mad enough to go back and listen
to all the shows to help us with show notes and making tags.