[Hpr] Atom feed/show submission

Frank Bell frankwbell at cox.net
Tue Oct 16 07:48:29 PDT 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:51:06 -0400, Klaatu <klaatu at straightedgelinux.com>
wrote:

> Ken's current solution, while possibly imperfect, has resulted in the
> most
> consistent and steady output of HPR it has *ever* seen, ever. That's
> not  just
> a point of pride for HPR, it's also the way a podcast builds trust in an
> audience, and keeps them coming back for more.

On the general issue of the scheduling rules, I am quite satisfied with
the current practice.  Note that doesn't mean I'm always *happy* with it,
but it seems to be working.

I doubt that, in a volunteer community such as this, there is any system
that will keep everyone happy or will work perfectly all the time.

And Ken's guidance brought HPR back from what could have been its death
bed.

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 01:15:24 -0400, Ken Fallon <ken.fallon at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I completely understand that Becky doesn't want to mess with Atom feeds
> and she doen't have to but I can guarantee you that some people reading
> this will want to.

I agree with Becky.  I think the ATOM format could be a request, but
certainly should not be a requirement.

And I agree with Ken.  I would be quite willing to submit show notes in
Atom format, because I would view it as a chance to learn something about
XML.  But that's because I enjoy this stuff.

I know that Ken and the other admins do a tremendous amount of work behind
the scenes; if I can take some of the load off, I'm happy to.

What I would like to see, if we are making that a request (rather than a
*requirement*), is a nice sample document prepared by someone who knows
XML that could be used as a template, showing title, text, images,
quotations, and any other field that might appear in typical show notes.
Then producing ATOM show notes could become a simple drag-and-replace
editing process.

I recorded a little piece today.  I will edit it and send it off tomorrow,
if all goes well (I think I do a better job of editing when I take a
break).

--

Blogging From Pine View Farm.  Updates daily; worthwhile updates
occasionally.  http://www.pineviewfarm.net/weblog.