[Hpr] Submission question, *.ogg and *.spx

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Wed Oct 17 12:03:16 PDT 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:53:21 -0400
"Frank Bell" <frankwbell at cox.net> wrote:

> I see the shows are not being posted in *.mp3, *.ogg, and *.spx.
>
> Once I have a show ready in *.mp3, it seems a simple matter to export
> it to the other formats (though I don't seem to have *.spx in my
> Audacity--at least not yet!).  For those who wish to supply two or
> more of the formats, would it be okay to export them, then pop them
> into a tarball with the shownotes, and upload that single file?
>
> If so, what settings should be used for the other two formats?

Hi Frank,

It is easier for us if we get one (1) high quality version of the file.
Ideally in a lossless format like flac or wav, failing that a high
quality ogg file.

>>> We will still accept any format ! <<<<

Logic:
- It works better if the loss full formats (ogg, mp3 and spx) are
  transcoded *from a lossless format*. We often have issues with the
  uploaded shows from people and end up having to re-encode one of the
  formats from the other. With each transcode we lose more quality in
  the process. (thanks pokey) I have a directory containing 10 shows
  that failed in the last four months alone. This can often mean
  editing manually in Audacity. We have had issues with chipmunking due
  to sample rate problems, id3tags containing extended characters,
  embedded art issues with ogg files. The list goes on and on.
- mp3 and spx enoding are not installed out of the box. Writing howtos
  and troubleshooting issues is a waste of effort. Just export the flac
  or wav and upload it. Job done. If you want to learn about this
  stuff then subscribe to the dev maillist and check out the gitorious
  repo of the scripts we use.
- We have the ability to promote other projects, shows, events, news
  items, using text to speech or automated additions much like
  cchits.net does. To do that we need to have the original in a know
  good format.
- If we change advertiser, all the shows in the queue will need to be
  re-edited.
- I want to send the original to archive.org who also do their own
  transcoding.

So just put the files up there with the same name and different
extensions. If you have more files like images for shownotes then by
all means put them in a zip/tar file. Remember to add your name to the
filename - that helps a lot.