[Hpr] Submission question, *.ogg and *.spx

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:21:10 PDT 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:04:42 -0400
epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net wrote:

> > > Forgot to mention - Don't include the intro or outro either for
> > > the same reasons.
> > >
> > > Ken.
> >
> > This is actually news to me, I'm ashamed to admit. In my own
> > defense, and probably something we need to fix, the /contribute.php
> > page on hackerpublicradio.org does not say this at all. In fact it
> > says exactly the opposite: splice on the intro and outro and export
> > at mid-quality ogg or mp3 and upload.
> >
> > - klaatu
>
> I've been assuming we can optionally do the editing/splicing/encoding
> ourselves, so for my submissions I've so far been handling it on my
> end, partly to save labor at the HPR side and partly to indulge the
> schtick of having a couple of seconds of "prologue" and "epilogue"
> audio before and after the rest of the recording (including the HPR
> intro and outro).
>
> (If that's frowned upon, somebody tell me and I'll stop doing
> it...I've got several episode concepts I'm planning to work on soon.)

Again I forgot to mention that this is a discussion point not "VERILY I
HAVE SPOKEN AND IT SHALL BE SO HENCE FORTH". If you all disagree
then we won't change. I know I have said that before.

You all make valid points so let's break it down:

ISSUE 1
For the reasons in the original post, I think we should change our
current policy on show formats:
from: asking the hosts to send in multiple encoded files
to: sending in the one file in the highest quality available

ISSUE 1A
If you agree to that then, I propose that where the host has a choice,
we should use the FLAC format as we just love Freedom. I defer to
Klaatu to supply technical details on what that should be.

Obviously if you have recording on a device that only records in a
lossfull format like mp3 then of course you should send that file in.

ISSUE 2
Do we endorse the idea of using HPR as a way to promote other shows ?

If so do you think it's a good idea to:
ISSUE 2A:
Add one or two promos to the end of the shows, in the same way as
TLLTS does.

ISSUE 2B
Add a text-to-speech narration of the show summary to the front of
the episode so that people can decide whither they want to listen to
the topic now or later.

This has been one of the most requested features when I talk to listeners.

ISSUE 2C
Do we add a text-to-speech narration of announcements sent via
Identi.ca or Twitter regarding topics and news that the community would
like added to the next show.

ISSUE 2D
Do we extract the advertisement from the Outro so that we can allow
hosts to be creative with it's use of the intro and outro. Some people
add it and some don't and some get creative with it and I personaly
like that a lot.

ISSUE 2D1
I think that the sponsor slot should be configurable depending on where
we are hosting our material. So that we end up thanking the correct
people. For example one for "Lunarpages" for the normal feed and another
for "Archive.org" for the shows over there.