[Hpr] Submission question, *.ogg and *.spx

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Thu Oct 18 05:32:28 PDT 2012

> [...]
> > > says exactly the opposite: splice on the intro and outro and export
> > > at mid-quality ogg or mp3 and upload.
> > >
> > > - klaatu
> >
> > I've been assuming we can optionally do the editing/splicing/encoding
> > ourselves, so for my submissions I've so far been handling it on my
> > end, partly to save labor at the HPR side and partly to indulge the
> > schtick of having a couple of seconds of "prologue" and "epilogue"
> > audio before and after the rest of the recording (including the HPR
> > intro and outro).
> >
> > (If that's frowned upon, somebody tell me and I'll stop doing
> > it...I've got several episode concepts I'm planning to work on soon.)
>
> Again I forgot to mention that this is a discussion point not "VERILY I
> HAVE SPOKEN AND IT SHALL BE SO HENCE FORTH". If you all disagree
> then we won't change. I know I have said that before.
>
> You all make valid points so let's break it down:
>
> ISSUE 1
> For the reasons in the original post, I think we should change our
> current policy on show formats:
> from: asking the hosts to send in multiple encoded files
> to: sending in the one file in the highest quality available
>
> ISSUE 1A
> If you agree to that then, I propose that where the host has a choice,
> we should use the FLAC format as we just love Freedom. I defer to
> Klaatu to supply technical details on what that should be.
>
> Obviously if you have recording on a device that only records in a
> lossfull format like mp3 then of course you should send that file in.
>
> ISSUE 2
> Do we endorse the idea of using HPR as a way to promote other shows ?
>
> If so do you think it's a good idea to:
> ISSUE 2A:
> Add one or two promos to the end of the shows, in the same way as
> TLLTS does.
>
> ISSUE 2B
> Add a text-to-speech narration of the show summary to the front of
> the episode so that people can decide whither they want to listen to
> the topic now or later.
>
> This has been one of the most requested features when I talk to listeners.
>
> ISSUE 2C
> Do we add a text-to-speech narration of announcements sent via
> Identi.ca or Twitter regarding topics and news that the community would
> like added to the next show.
>
> ISSUE 2D
> Do we extract the advertisement from the Outro so that we can allow
> hosts to be creative with it's use of the intro and outro. Some people
> add it and some don't and some get creative with it and I personaly
> like that a lot.
>
> ISSUE 2D1
> I think that the sponsor slot should be configurable depending on where
> we are hosting our material. So that we end up thanking the correct
> people. For example one for "Lunarpages" for the normal feed and another
> for "Archive.org" for the shows over there.

ISSUE 1
Agreed. One high qual file makes sense.

ISSUE 1A
- 1st choice = flac.
- No-brainer lowest-common-denominator = zipped .wav
- Alternatives: ogg -q 10 or mp3 or whatever the heck you have

ISSUE 2: HPR Endorsing Other Shows
I see no reason why HPR should not promote other shows at the end of an HPR
episode.

> ISSUE 2A: adding promos
Yes sure. Solidarity!

> ISSUE 2B: tts summary
> ISSUE 2C: tts announcements
It runs the risk of turning each episode into a variety show...  here's a tts
summary. here's a tts news item. here's the show. here's some promos.

But who knows? maybe that's actually a good thing. It could help create an
active community feel.

> ISSUE 2D: modularize outro advertisement
I should think we'd need to make it clear that Lunarhosting's ad is definitely
included in an unmodified form. I mean, they're providing hosting, so I think
we need to make sure they get credit for that (and are probably obligated to
do so, anyway) but otherwise, it seems that modularity is a good thing.

That said, as someone who does like to screw around with the outro music, I
can usually work around the ad.

> ISSUE 2D1: configurable outro ad
Agreed.

 - klaatu