[Hpr] voting

Stephen Kellat smkellat at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 16:53:51 PDT 2012

I'm speaking as part of The Air Staff of Erie Looking Productions and have not run this past Madam Producer or Mister Engineer/Owner yet.

Stephen Michael Kellat, Head Writer

[snip]

>>> If so do you think it's a good idea to:
>>> ISSUE 2A:
>>> Add one or two promos to the end of the shows, in the same way as
>>> TLLTS does.
>>
>> Yes, but I think there should be limitations. Promos can get out of hand,
>> and can be a turnoff.
>> I propose we limit promos to no more than two or three a week, no more than
>> three or four plays per show per year, and I also think that we probably
>> should not accept financial compensation for playing promos.
> Noted. Never thought of selling promos - ah well to late now (Joking)

The outro is getting a bit long.  For what we're producing routinely our signature close is a US-ian telephone busy signal followed by a production piece of "Please Hang Up & Try Again".  The outro as recorded sounds a bit muddy.

>>> ISSUE 2B
>>> Add a text-to-speech narration of the show summary to the front of
>>> the episode so that people can decide whither they want to listen to
>>> the topic now or later.
>>>
>>> This has been one of the most requested features when I talk to
> listeners.
>>
>> To clarify: Are you asking about just a show summary, or the entirety of
> the
>> shownotes? If the entirety of the shownotes, then I vote "No." If
> Just a
>> summary, then my vote is a qualified "Yes."
> Only the summary.
>
>> I don't think I like this idea, only because I find TTS voices grating.
> But
>> if people are asking for it, then I must vote "Yes". Perhaps we
> could get
>> some help from our friends at the ACF in choosing the voice.
> You can always read them out and send them in as flac files :)
> We can have the voice mention "please help to improve my voice, donate
> to the ACF" from time to time.

Please do not use flite or espeak on this.  The folks over at TWiT record this themselves.  It sounds better with a human voice.  I am far more in favor of not having an opening teaser at all but that reflects my personal taste in production style more than any overall theoretical views of production.

>>> ISSUE 2C
>>> Do we add a text-to-speech narration of announcements sent via
>>> Identi.ca or Twitter regarding topics and news that the community would
>>> like added to the next show.
>>
>> Yes
>> This is much better than people including such announcements in their show
>> content and risking it going stale.
>> If further description is required than what is allowed by the character
>> limit, then the details should be in an audio promo for the event.
>> I wonder if it's technically possible to have a whitelist in order to
>> prevent spam, and if so, and if someone is willing to code it, may we also
>> vote on the inclusion of a whitelist?
> I disagree with a white list. If there is a spam problem we can
> include a feedback code in the episode that changes from time to time.
> But I prefer no moderation except for spam just like the shows and
> comments.

KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS...

>>> ISSUE 2D
>>> Do we extract the advertisement from the Outro so that we can allow
>>> hosts to be creative with it's use of the intro and outro. Some
> people
>>> add it and some don't and some get creative with it and I personaly
>>> like that a lot.
>>
>> No. We currently have two versions of the outro music with the
>> included. The community voted (or abstained from voting) to use these, and
>> afaik our advertiser is happy with them both. I propose that we leave the
>> door open to further submissions of the outro music, but I feel that the
>> community should have the chance to vote on each.
>>
>> I do like the ability to add audio content before and after the music
>> however, and I like when other people do it too. Perhaps we could have
>> separate in-boxes (or a checkbox on the eventual web form) depending on
>> whether or not the uploaded file needs the music added?

The outro could be shortened and re-recorded perhaps.

> [...]
> HPR branding, and to allow the hosts to incorporate them into their
> work, then they must be generic. The message in them must remain
> constant across providers. Or am I missing your point ?
>
> This is the outro text:
> 1. You have been listening to Hacker Public Radio at hackerpublicradio dot org
> 2. We are a Community podcast network that releases shows every
> weekday Monday through Friday.
> 3. Today's show, like all our shows, was contributed by a HPR listener
> like yourself.
> 4. If you ever thought of recording a podcast then click on our
> contribute link to find out how easy it really is.
> 5. Hacker Public Radio was founded by the Digital Dawg Pound and the
> Infonomicon Computer Club
> 6. HPR is a part of the Binary Revoution at binrev.com
> 7. All binrev projects are proudly sponsored by Lunar pages
> 8. "From shared hosting to custom private clouds go to Lunarpages dot
> com for all your hosting needs"
> 9. Unless otherwise stated today's show is released under a: Creative
> Commons, Attribution, ShareAlike, 3.0  License
>
> The line 7 and 8 need to be moved out of the outro to make it generic.
>
> A _possible_ Intro text - read by a human or klaatu.
> Voice over intro:
> a. Welcome to another episode of Hacker Public Radio.
> b. Today's show is proudly sponsored by Lunar pages
> c. "From shared hosting to custom private clouds go to Lunarpages dot
> com for all your hosting needs"
> d. and now a summary of today's show.
>
> Leaving the generic outro as:
> 1. You have been listening to Hacker Public Radio at hackerpublicradio dot org
> 2. We are a Community podcast network that releases shows every
> weekday Monday through Friday.
> 3. Today's show, like all our shows, was contributed by a HPR listener
> like yourself.
> 4. If you ever thought of recording a podcast then click on our
> contribute link to find out how easy it really is.
> 5. Hacker Public Radio was founded by the Digital Dawg Pound and the
> Infonomicon Computer Club
> 6. HPR is a part of the Binary Revoution at binrev.com
> 9. Unless otherwise stated today's show is released under a: Creative
> Commons, Attribution, ShareAlike, 3.0  License
>
>> I propose that we leave the
>> door open to further submissions of the outro music, but I feel that the
>> community should have the chance to vote on each.
>
> Why the votes ? I know there are strong feelings about this and I
> agree that for branding purposes we keep the intro as it is given that
> it's so recognisable but can't we cut people some slack with the outro
> ? It's part of the host's work and if they want to remix it or do a
> Scottish version (thanks Mr. X) then great. I'd love to hear a dubstep
> version.
>
> Although I'm happy with people using a shorter version of the intro.
> If someone wants to edit the long flac version down nicely please send

I'll need to talk to the rest of the Air Staff about doing some new outro recordings with our wonderful Cleveland accents from Lake Erie's south shores.  With luck we might be able to record something by Monday that I can drop a link on-list to.

[snip]