[Hpr] voting

Patrick Dailey pdailey03 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 06:58:55 PDT 2012

I like the idea of the feedback code instead of a whitelist. I think Ken is
right about that.

Allowing for the show to be uploaded with or without the topic summary
seems like creating more work on the back end, but if Ken says it's not a
problem (since he pretty much IS the back end atm) then I'm all for it.

I didn't realize that Ken wanted to just move some of the spoken text to
the beginning of the show. That's fine with me. As long as the words can be
clearly heard, I'm happy.

I don't mean to discourage remixes and covers of the music in any way
whatsoever. I LOVE the idea of people coming up with their own versions of
the intros and outros.

I'm not sure I know enough about branding to speak confidently on the
topic, but it does seem to me that the music (particularly the intro music)
is the only thing that ties all of our shows together. If that's what
branding is, then I think it's just as important to "preserve" the brand as
it is to respect contributor's rights to express themselves artistically
(I'm also 100% in favor of any remix that preserves said brand). If there's
a way to do both at the same time, then I'm all for it. If not, then I
think we either need to find a good balancing point between the two, or
leave the whole topic alone until it becomes a problem, which it may never
do. If it is or has been a problem so far, I'm unaware of it.

Assuming it's something we want to address, here is what I had in mind: We
give the community the final say as to what music may be used as the intro
and/or outro. If I want to produce new intro music, I can email just the
music to the mailing list before publishing the show, and if the mailing
list likes it, then anyone can use that music, or I could use an intro that
the community already approves of, and just include my version somewhere
else in the show. At which point the community may do whatever it likes
with my version. This seems reasonable to me, however I'm not an artist and
I'm incredibly unlikely to create my own version of the music. I'd like to
hear an artist's take on it.

These are just ideas. I'm quite happy to abandon them for better ones.

--
Thank You,
Patrick Dailey

Not sent from an iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android or any other such
hipster device.