[Hpr] show ideas

Christopher Hobbs cmhobbs at acm.org
Tue Apr 2 07:56:45 PDT 2013

Greetings, HPR Community!

First off, I'd like to say thanks for the positive response to my first
podcast.  I'm really glad you guys enjoyed it.  I've been rolling around
some ideas for podcasts, but I figured I'd check here to see if there
was any interest.  Here are some of my ideas:

Book reviews of Exploding the Phone, The Pragmatic Programmer, and
Hackers and Painters.  I've read (or re-read) all of these recently and
thought they might be interesting to the community.

I've also considered doing an overview or review of the SDF Public
Access UNIX system (http://sdf.org).  I use their clusters every day and
I've been a member for nearly a decade.  I'd like to go over some of
their features without sounding like an advertisement.

I've also considered highlighting some command line tools like the
bc/units podcasts, but with larger components like tmux or mutt.  I
could also present high-level introductions to various programming
languages.

I don't know how much time I have to devote to recording podcasts, so I
wanted to get a pulse and see if any of those would be interesting.  I'd
like to record a couple more and try to help keep the community going.

On a mostly unrelated note, for those of you who liked the wonderful bc
podcast that came out:  if you like RPN better than algebraic notation,
hit up man (1) dc.  You won't be let down.

Thanks for your time!