[Hpr] Various Creative Commons Works

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 13:34:37 PDT 2013

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:45:45 -0400
epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net wrote:

> > Uh, have we moved from "There are no shows in the queue, how can we
> > possibly keep going?" to the alternate state of "We have too many
> > shows, we need to split the feed."
>
> Or, "we can consider posting more than one show in a day"...
>
> I like the idea of adding "Various creative commons works" to the
> feed, assuming they are likely to be "of interest to hackers" in
> which case it makes sense to me to keep them with the main feed, but
> they could potentially be released as "bonus episodes" on the same
> day as a regular episode, rather than further extending the backlog
> (2 months, currently...).  Some sort of rule based on the current
> backlog of shows could be declared to determine when these extra
> shows are added as a daily "bonus episode" or just inserted as "that
> day's show" like normal (e.g. "if there are at least 3 weeks worth of
> regular shows in the queue, OCC shows are released concurrently with
> a regular show on the same day. Otherwise, they are treated as a
> regular show.")
>
> Just a thought.
>
> (What IS the "ideal" backlog for the HPR queue?)

the assumption that we have loads of shows, I will remind you that "we
still have 149 slots to fill this year". You might think looking at the
queue that we are doing fine but we still need ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY
NINE SHOWS ! That's exactly half of all the shows that The Linux Outlaws
have produced EVER and we need them before the end of the year.

Sometimes there is a backlog, some things happen and there are new
hosts, there are urgent shows, etc etc, but I guarantee you that during
the Summer months we have to beg to get any shows at all.

Anyway don't be dazzled by the number of shows in the queue. Look
closely and you'll see that 14 are contributed by Ahuka, 5 by myself, 3
by Klaatu, and 2 by jonkulp.

This is what the queue looks like without these four people:

20130324T062028Z_214_NidoMedia-SaturdaySessionWhatIsHacking
20130326T014143Z_73_deepgeek_LamentForThttpd
20130326T052736Z_182_Epicanis-Thoughtkindness002-Playing-Ingress
20130401T180834Z_115_sigflup_talk_cyberpunk_to_me
20130401T171122Z_229_Charles_in_NJ_Doomsday_Rule
20130403T000543Z_185_fightcodegame
20130409T011455Z_115_sigflup-mitigating-sql-injection-and-other-message-protocol-attacks-through-compiler-signatures
20130415T220047Z_235_Timttmy_and_NYbill-3G_TunnelsSshuttle
20130416T185336Z_195_Frank_Bell_Achieves_Enlightenment_Adventures_with_E17_Pt_One

If these people had not contributed we would be out of shows in a week
and a half. Given it takes three weeks between a call for shows before
we get any in, we would be in very serious trouble.

So my advice to you all is keep, come back in about 4th of July
and have a look at how full the queue is. In the mean time please
record your show. As you are doing that record another one for the
backup queue.