[Hpr] Various Creative Commons Works

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 13:48:14 PDT 2013

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 16:06:28 -0400
Jason Dodd <jason.s.dodd at gmail.com> wrote:

> If there is supply, I like the idea of keeping 1.5 months' worth of
> shows in the queue and then considering adding Saturday and when there
> are 1.5 months of 6 days a week move to Sunday and then moving to
> doubling up Monday when there are 1.5 months of 7 days per week in the
> queue.  and so on doubling up on the rest of the days of the week
> after building up 1.5 months of the current level before moving on.
>
> Sort of leveling up for hpr.  How geeky is that?
>
> It would be nice to have this problem.

I will re-post part of an email I sent to the list before and this is
my personal opinion only.

---------------------------------------
From: Ken Fallon
<ken.fallon at gmail.com> To: hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
Subject: Re: [Hpr] Vote on removing non HPR shows.
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:29:12 +0200
Sender: hpr-bounces at hackerpublicradio.org
[snip]

Changing the release schedule
...As stated before we have made a commitment to our listeners to
release five shows a week. Each time we stick to what we do we cement
the idea that HPR is a regular trusted community that stands by what it
says. I already get complaints from people that we produce too many
shows (See Fab's OggCamp interview). We are already telling people to
delete the show not the feed.
Two additional shows a week, means that someone needs to prepare (check
the audio, add intros/ outro, add show notes add ID tags, update the
queue list, email the new hosts, etc etc). That can be done ahead of
time but posting needs to be done every day. That means you are
committing someone to connecting to HPR from where ever they are to
confirm that all the feeds are working, that each episode has been
published correctly, that each show can be played from start to finish,
that the website is rendering the show notes correctly. They will need
to do this even if they are on Vacation, on a business trip, are
abroad, are on a unstable Internet connection. Even if we automate
it ..., the *responsibility* has increased and the checks and fixes all
still need to be done. We do this every week day but I for one am not
willing to commit my weekends as well, many of which already are full
with editing or recording HPR shows. A five day a week release schedule
means that the show numbers are predictable. Monday show ends in a 1 or
a 6, Tuesdays 2 or a 7, etc. This is incredibly handy when you are
barely awake.