[Hpr] Various Creative Commons Works

Jason Dodd jason.s.dodd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 02:48:02 PDT 2013

Ken,
Good on you for reviving HPR.  I'm grateful but...

I'll admit this is a little facetious as I don't really care when shows
are released.  I only contributed to the discussion to offer options.
Also, the series of shows I'm planning will come with the note, "Post
these however you want."  But on the face of it, hiding information
seems absurdly anti-hacker.  I know there are different definitions of
hacker but here is a quote from one document on the subject.

      4. Freedom is good.

Hackers are naturally anti-authoritarian. Anyone who can give you orders
can stop you from solving whatever problem you're being fascinated by
--- and, given the way authoritarian minds work, will generally find
some appallingly stupid reason to do so. So the authoritarian attitude
has to be fought wherever you find it, lest it smother you and other
hackers.

(This isn't the same as fighting all authority. Children need to be
guided and criminals restrained. A hacker may agree to accept some kinds
of authority in order to get something he wants more than the time he
spends following orders. But that's a limited, conscious bargain; the
kind of personal surrender authoritarians want is not on offer.)

Authoritarians thrive on censorship and secrecy. And they distrust
voluntary cooperation and information-sharing --- they only like
'cooperation' that they control. So to behave like a hacker, you have to
develop an instinctive hostility to censorship, secrecy, and the use of
force or deception to compel responsible adults. And you have to be
willing to act on that belief.