[Hpr] Visibility of the show queue/calendar

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 11:40:38 PDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:52:28 +0100
Dave Morriss <dave.morriss at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just wanted to express my regret that the show list on the calendar
> page has been removed.
>
> I understand Ken's view that what appears to be a surfeit of shows
> might send out the false message that we can all relax and stop
> sending contributions. However, I don't think that hiding the queue
> is the right thing to do.
I only started listing them a year ago because it was the easiest way
to give feedback on where peoples shows were in the queue. Now the
processing time has sped up (thanks in no small part to yourself), why
do we need it ? You can see that you appear as a host in the list of
upcoming hosts. Only those that submitted multiple shows would then be
effected. Anyway you could argue that having the list there spoils the
spontaneity of the releases.

> After all, 34 shows and 142 slots is still a shortage.
Yes but on once the free slots hits 0, I just move the date to December
31 next year and bam we're short 253 shows. That's more than two and a
half times as many shows as Chess Griffins Linux Reality !

> I would sooner see a graphic (pie chart, "fuel gauge" or something)
> making it clear that the need for more shows is still acute. There's
> no accounting for human psychology, but I'd have thought being up
> front about the situation is better than hiding it.
So something like a graphical version of this:
http://hackerpublicradio.org/have-we-enough-shows.html

> Just my personal view. Being the geek I am I found watching the queue
> fascinating.

Glad you did. I'd like to hear what other people think as, while I'm
admitting nothing, I may be a smigin paranoid about getting shows in
the queue.

However it's a real problem. On one hand we need shows and on the other
hand here is a list of *loads* of shows. It might not be obvious that
the show you are  submitting will be released sooner. Even if you do
that fact may prevent you from wanting to "bump" someone else.

Focusing on solutions to what seems to be a problem, the only thing I
can think of is instead of having the files listed on the calendar
page, we provide a link to it instead. That way the information is
visible but not in your face.

Solutions to the issue would be appreciated.

Ken.