[Hpr] Visibility of the show queue/calendar

Frank Bell frankwbell at cox.net
Mon Apr 22 13:21:14 PDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:40:38 +0200
Ken Fallon <ken.fallon at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Just my personal view. Being the geek I am I found watching the
> > queue fascinating.
>
> Glad you did. I'd like to hear what other people think as, while I'm
> admitting nothing, I may be a smigin paranoid about getting shows in
> the queue.

I can address this:  The only reason I ever have checked the show list
is to make sure that my submissions have arrived safely.  Other than
that, I take HPR as it comes.

----------------------

As an aside, I fail to see how the visibility of the list of upcoming
shows has anything whatsoever to do with the "hacker ethos," but that's
just me.  It seems to me wholly a tactical editorial decision, not in
any way an ethical one, except under the sort of reasoning which would
claim that "everything is ethics."

I learned long ago (in the context of battles over dining car recipes,
as a point in fact) that sometimes an arbitrary choice between two
equal alternatives is required--some choice, even a bad one, is oft
better than no choice.

(The proximate cause of this learning was a dispute over whether to use
the Santa Fe recipe or the Pennsylvania Railroad recipe for something or
other on Amtrak dining cars.  Ex-SF folks wanted one, ex-PRR folks
wanted the other, and both were ready to argue to the death to such a
point that the item was likely never to make it to the menu. As
I said, it was a long time ago.)

--

Blogging From Pine View Farm (http://www.pineviewfarm.net/weblog).
Updates daily.  Worthwhile updates occasionally.