[Hpr] Visibility of the show queue/calendar

Dave Morriss dave.morriss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 14:00:42 PDT 2013

On 22/04/13 19:40, Ken Fallon wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:52:28 +0100
> Dave Morriss <dave.morriss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just wanted to express my regret that the show list on the calendar page
>> has been removed.
>>
>> I understand Ken's view that what appears to be a surfeit of shows might
>> send out the false message that we can all relax and stop sending
>> contributions. However, I don't think that hiding the queue is the right
>> thing to do.
>
> I only started listing them a year ago because it was the easiest way to
> give feedback on where peoples shows were in the queue. Now the processing
> time has sped up (thanks in no small part to yourself), why do we need it
> ? You can see that you appear as a host in the list of upcoming hosts. Only
> those that submitted multiple shows would then be effected. Anyway you could
> argue that having the list there spoils the spontaneity of the releases.

Of course, you don't have to look :-)

I think my main reason for commenting was concern that hiding data was
being seen as the solution to a potential misunderstanding of the true
state of things. It felt a bit too much like the modern trend to
simplify everything for fear that people might come to know too much or
because they haven't the wits to understand it.

It's not something I'd fight to the bitter end about, and if the
community is happy then so am I. I do like looking inside things so I
can understand how they work, but I can't expect everyone to like "guts".

>> After all, 34 shows and 142 slots is still a shortage.
>
> Yes but on once the free slots hits 0, I just move the date to December 31
> next year and bam we're short 253 shows. That's more than two and a half
> times as many shows as Chess Griffins Linux Reality !

I'd probably set a rolling threshold rather than the arbitrary end of
the current calendar year. Alternatively I'd want to show that at the
current rate of flow the queue will be exhausted by date X.

>> I would sooner see a graphic (pie chart, "fuel gauge" or something)
>> making it clear that the need for more shows is still acute. There's
>> no accounting for human psychology, but I'd have thought being up
>> front about the situation is better than hiding it.
>
> So something like a graphical version of this:
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/have-we-enough-shows.html

Maybe a tad more subtle ...

>> Just my personal view. Being the geek I am I found watching the queue
>> fascinating.
>
> Glad you did. I'd like to hear what other people think as, while I'm
> admitting nothing, I may be a smigin paranoid about getting shows in the
> queue.

I for one am glad you are.

> However it's a real problem. On one hand we need shows and on the other hand
> here is a list of *loads* of shows. It might not be obvious that the show
> you are  submitting will be released sooner. Even if you do that fact may
> prevent you from wanting to "bump" someone else.
>
> Focusing on solutions to what seems to be a problem, the only thing I can
> think of is instead of having the files listed on the calendar page, we
> provide a link to it instead. That way the information is visible but not in
> your face.

Well, that would satisfy me, though I'm probably more interested in this
level of detail than many. One other reason for doing this would be to
help resolve queries about queue positioning and what may be seen as
inexplicable delays.

> Solutions to the issue would be appreciated.

Yup.

Dave

David Morriss, Scotland, UK | Dave.Morriss at gmail.com