[Hpr] CQ CQ CQ de KT4KB - Let's do a podcast Via Amatuer Radio

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Wed Jan 9 15:14:17 PST 2013

I think that's a great idea!

I'm not a HAM. I have no clue about radio. I would love, love to hear more.

May I make a suggestion/request? Take baby steps! You as HAM radio operators
know a lot about radio that noobs like many of us in the audience do not
understand and can barely comprehend. I've listened to lots of HAM-related
stuff (podcasts, friends talking, etc) and have yet to truly understand how to
get started down the HAM path. For example:

Episode One:
- do I have to have a license before even dipping my toe into this?
- how do i listen?
- how do i broadcast?
- what gear do i need?
- where do i find the gear that i need?
- once i am licensed, what's the first thing i should do?

Episode Two:
- how do i get HAM going on Linux?
- what do i need to install? do i need to recompile my kernel with the HAM
support built in?
- what applications will i need and how do they relate to the components
discussed in episode one?
- are there any hardware requirements for this or is it all in software?
- once i get the software up and running, what's my first step? do i go to a
chat room radio channel or just ping someone I know and talk? or what?

Just some ideas!

- klaatu