[Hpr] Preview upcomming shows for hosts

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 02:16:31 PDT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:10:58 +0100
"Dude-man from Dudmanovi.cz" <hpr at dudmanovi.cz> wrote:

> I'm dumb perhaps, but can't see them, the two current
>
> 2013-03-28 hpr1214 "LinuxFest Northwest is April 27, 28,2013" by
> David Whitman 2013-03-29 hpr1215 "Pair Programming" by Christopher M.
> Hobbs
>
> anywhere on the ftp server, that I have access to at least.

As I said those are the two that are already posted but their release
date hasn't passed yet. You can get to them via
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr{episode number}.{file format}

> For me this is a real shame, as, well I'm impatient and like to run
> my own schedule and listen to things when the mood/inspiration
> hits... Perhaps the technical change that made this previewing of, as
> yet, unscheduled shows no longer possible didn't foresee the
> consequence's to impatient people, any chance of still having early
> access so I can get my own rss feed creater working again ?

Yes we had discussed it on the New Year Show. I said then that I
personally as a HPR Host didn't like the idea because of the fact that
"we say what we do (5 shows a week) and we do what we say" builds trust
with the listener. I also said that there are those who would like
everything released as it comes in. That has been debated and it is
what it is right now. I also asked you to send an email to the mail
list to open the topic for discussion.

However, as a HPR Admin I will not let my personal dislikes interfere
with the running of the network. As I have said on the last Community
News, just because you don't get your feature doesn't mean that it
isn't been worked on. The plan is to add the option "gomax=1" to the
main site and all the feeds. This is currently in testing but the
database changes for that have gone live last month.

When I moved the files off for processing, I had intended to put them
back but didn't because making the shows available before hand has
resulted in search engines pointing to files in the queue that have
long since been moved into the main feed. This results in invalid links
which lead to the 404 errors reporting 4 times more than actual hits on
the site. I could have excluded them in the robots.txt file but I also
want to move the FTP server root off the web server anyway because it
is a security concern. Anyone with credentials can upload content there
and it will be served via the main website. Fortunately our hosts are
kind enough not to exploit this fact.

Making shows available before hand right now is difficult because our
GUID (xpath: rss/channel/item/guid) is the episode number. The plan
is to move to some sort of other identifier that would remain constant
from the start of it's life cycle to the end. That would allow the shows
to be moved up and down the schedule list. The location of the file
would also remain constant. Then we can add an option to the feed to
"gomax=1". The items would still move around in the RSS/Atom feeds but
they should not be downloaded again. That is not there yet, but it is
the plan and this months move to releasing filtering on date
facilitates that.

I don't actually like to publish what I'm working on because a) I might
not get time and b) it sets some sort of expectation and c) this is a
hobby and I have enough "tasks" in my real life. But just to give you
an idea of what has been asked for recently here is an incomplete list
of stuff that is ongoing as we speak:
- Securing the website
- Search options
- Introduction to HPR video
- Upload Form
- Add ATOM Feed
- Opus Support
- Introduction of show Tags
- Events Page
- Twitter/Identi.CA Feed
- Upload to Archive.org
- Automatic tagging of media files
- Automating media upload, identification and transcoding
- Fixing broken links
- Fixing broken HTML/Converting to HTML5/CSS3

Many of them are interlinked and supporting one will add support for
others. I could make another feed for the processed but not yet posted
shows but I don't want to because it's wasted time and effort
(personal opinion) however if this this a feature that people want
immediately then I will do it next.