[Hpr] new show posting algorithm

Dave Morriss dave.morriss at gmail.com
Wed May 29 14:19:49 PDT 2013

On 29/05/13 21:23, epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
>>> The upload form would have a drop down with the first two items been
>>> "Normal (Selected)" then "Backup Show" and then a list of free/unscheduled slots
>>> listed by "episode number/date". Once processed, the show would be added to
>>> the database and the episode/day would not be available any more.
>>
>>> The beauty of this is that all the decision making is done by the
>>> community.
>>>
>>> Ken.
>>
>> Sounds great to me.
>>
>> Anybody else want to ratify this?
>
> BY THE POWER VESTED IN ME AS "SOME RANDOM GUY ON THE INTERNET",
> I hereby ratify.
>
> For what that's worth. :-)

It seems like a pretty good way forward to me.

I thought about it a while and wondered:

1. This has the potential to disrupt patterns such as Community News
being released on the first Monday of the month. Does this matter?

2. The new algorithm means that there is nothing to prevent multiple
shows from a given host being released in the same week. Is this a
deficiency?

3. Situations may arise where a show is submitted which requires more
work to prepare than usual, yet the submitter has asked for it to be
released very soon. This puts extra pressure on the admins. Is this
likely to be a problem?

4. The existing rapid turnaround for new hosts will be lost. Is this an
attraction to new submitters, or merely an unexpected bonus?

5. Since the responsibility for ensuring there are no gaps in the
schedule has now been "outsourced" to the community, is a strategy
needed to accumulate "filler" shows to cover any gaps? Perhaps there
will be none?

After pondering these points, my conclusion was that the benefits seem
to outweigh any disadvantages. A major benefit as far as I can see is
that there is no *software* algorithm at the heart of it at all.

That means I can throw away the crappy code I wrote last year and was
never very happy with ;-)

Dave