[Hpr] new show posting algorithm

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Wed May 29 14:45:13 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:19:49 PM Dave Morriss wrote:

> >> Sounds great to me.
> >>
> >> Anybody else want to ratify this?
> >
> > BY THE POWER VESTED IN ME AS "SOME RANDOM GUY ON THE INTERNET",
> > I hereby ratify.
> >
> > For what that's worth. :-)
>
> It seems like a pretty good way forward to me.
>
> I thought about it a while and wondered:
>
> 1. This has the potential to disrupt patterns such as Community News
> being released on the first Monday of the month. Does this matter?

Dave,

Good point. This might need to be the one exception to the no-reserved-slots
issue. It is, after all, a community show.

> 2. The new algorithm means that there is nothing to prevent multiple
> shows from a given host being released in the same week. Is this a
> deficiency?

I think it is, yes. I don't think hosts should post multiple shows per week,
but maybe we could make that a 'best practises' sort of request, rather than a
rule that is enforced.

> 3. Situations may arise where a show is submitted which requires more
> work to prepare than usual, yet the submitter has asked for it to be
> released very soon. This puts extra pressure on the admins. Is this
> likely to be a problem?

I do not believe so. All the work is done on the user's part, so I don't think
it'll be a big deal to admins.

> 4. The existing rapid turnaround for new hosts will be lost. Is this an
> attraction to new submitters, or merely an unexpected bonus?

Ken's idea is to not do the new-host bump, but we expect there to be less of a
queue as a result of this new simplified FIFO algorithm, so I don't think it's
going to hurt the incentive for new hosts.

> 5. Since the responsibility for ensuring there are no gaps in the
> schedule has now been "outsourced" to the community, is a strategy
> needed to accumulate "filler" shows to cover any gaps? Perhaps there
> will be none?

I think that's where the admins do come in.  If there's no show, then the
admin posts a show from the emergency fund; if there is no emergency fund then
the admins re-post content from the CC-BY-SA podcast of their choice.

-- klaatu