[Hpr] Why no hpr torrent yet?

Ken Fallon ken.fallon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 19:50:25 PST 2013

Hi dg,

I apologise for the use of the word slurp, as it implies that it is a bad thing. It is not. All are welcome to slurp away.

We had the discussion about torrents before and the problem is that as each new episode is added the torrent file changes and so the whole X amount of gigs would be downloaded again each day.

Pokey suggested bitlockersync as a possible solution to this. Once the mailing list is archived we can actually point to that discussion.

I argued that torrents are not as cacheable as http, so while the entire archive was marked as downloaded or "slurped", that doesn't mean that it all was downloaded as much may have been taken from ISPs caches. Whither torrents or http download is used is a technical argument and could be argued either way. Your point about there been no easy way to get the entire archive is valid and the hpr vps we have been given is at your disposal for whatever solution is arrived at. Also we can make rsync or ftp access available to the master mirrors.

So please continue the discussion on what you would like to see, and in the meantime Slurp away.

Regards

Ken