[Hpr] Hpr Digest, Vol 62, Issue 19

Fifty OneFifty fiftyonefifty at linuxbasement.com
Wed Nov 27 09:03:14 PST 2013


Could we do something as simple as adding the ogg links after the
titles on the index_full.php page (I know that would require adjusting
the script that generates the page)?  Then anyone interested in
capturing the entire library at once could use DownThemAll to grab all
the media files on the page.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM,  <hpr-request at hackerpublicradio.org> wrote:
> Send Hpr mailing list submissions to
>         hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://hackerpublicradio.org/mailman/listinfo/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         hpr-request at hackerpublicradio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         hpr-owner at hackerpublicradio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Hpr digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1.  Why no hpr torrent yet? (epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net)
>    2. Re: Why no hpr torrent yet? (Cobra2)
>    3. Re: Why no hpr torrent yet? (dg)
>    4. Re: Why no hpr torrent yet? (Mike Dupont)
>    5. Invitation: Discuss the HPR banner design @ Tue Nov 26, 2013
>       6pm - 7pm (davidglennwhitman at gmail.com) (davidglennwhitman at gmail.com)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:32:14 -0500
> From: epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
> To: hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
> Subject: [Hpr]  Why no hpr torrent yet?
> Message-ID: <2178531.xOer6SbqcZ at bunnies>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>> Possible solution:
>> The shows should be archived by year or eps 300-399 in torrents. This would
>> enable a script to be written to only build torrents from the last N shows
>> or shows posted in the year XXXX.
>>
>> I favor by year myself.
>
> I was just about to suggest something similar, except on a smaller time scale.
>
> If it were done by month (at least "going forward", as the MBA-holders like to say), interested people wouldn't need to wait more than a month before new episodes showed up in a bittorrent archive.
>
> (That said, it seems like it would make sense to go ahead and archive previous years' archives in yearly batches - its not like those are going to change, so the issue of adding new episodes to them wouldn't matter).
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://hackerpublicradio.org/pipermail/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org/attachments/20131125/32a98c6f/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:44:49 -0700
> From: Cobra2 <cobra2 at linuxbasement.com>
> To: hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
> Subject: Re: [Hpr] Why no hpr torrent yet?
> Message-ID: <de0ca45d-4c18-4214-b8db-51ae70ad1e3b at email.android.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> And then reroll the month into years around new years day?
>
> -- cobra2
>
>
> epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
>>> Possible solution:
>>> The shows should be archived by year or eps 300-399 in torrents. This
>>would
>>> enable a script to be written to only build torrents from the last N
>>shows
>>> or shows posted in the year XXXX.
>>>
>>> I favor by year myself.
>>
>>I was just about to suggest something similar, except on a smaller time
>>scale.
>>
>>If it were done by month (at least "going forward", as the MBA-holders
>>like to say), interested people wouldn't need to wait more than a month
>>before new episodes showed up in a bittorrent archive.
>>
>>(That said, it seems like it would make sense to go ahead and archive
>>previous years' archives in yearly batches - its not like those are
>>going to change, so the issue of adding new episodes to them wouldn't
>>matter).
>>
>>
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Hpr mailing list
>>Hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
>>http://hackerpublicradio.org/mailman/listinfo/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://hackerpublicradio.org/pipermail/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org/attachments/20131125/0f427d0f/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 06:52:37 -0500
> From: dg <dg at deepgeek.us>
> To: Cobra2 <cobra2 at linuxbasement.com>
> Cc: hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
> Subject: Re: [Hpr] Why no hpr torrent yet?
> Message-ID: <20131126065237.7fabef17 at wheezy72.slc5.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
>
> Very cool, this  is the kind of discussion I was looking for.  It never
> occurred to me that we could make annuals out of the torrents, but it
> looks extremely desirable.  I'm a big fan of the fact that you can
> download internal parts of the torrent file, but was looking for
> something that made more sense than the potential user specifying a
> block of episode numbers within a torrent.  The idea of even having the
> whole thing by month, within the annual torrents, would give an
> excellent usability to the end user, do we agree?
>
> Which is better, by means of universality, using gzip or tar?  Or maybe
> (since all these formats are quite compressed already,) maybe we should
> have monthly folders within annual torrents?  Ideas PLEASE!
>
> All that aside, I think the first step is for me to personally automate
> my downloading of all the files, starting with speex, which looks very
> attractive to me, as what I can learn from the smaller set of speex
> files can then save me when I move on to bigger ogg and mp3 archives
> (unless after I do speex, I get a volunteer for a point-person for a
> format...)
>
> Thanks, and thanks for the offer of access, Ken,
> ---
> DG
>
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:44:49 -0700
> Cobra2 <cobra2 at linuxbasement.com> wrote:
>
>> And then reroll the month into years around new years day?
>>
>> -- cobra2
>>
>>
>> epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
>> >> Possible solution:
>> >> The shows should be archived by year or eps 300-399 in torrents.
>> >> This
>> >would
>> >> enable a script to be written to only build torrents from the last
>> >> N
>> >shows
>> >> or shows posted in the year XXXX.
>> >>
>> >> I favor by year myself.
>> >
>> >I was just about to suggest something similar, except on a smaller
>> >time scale.
>> >
>> >If it were done by month (at least "going forward", as the
>> >MBA-holders like to say), interested people wouldn't need to wait
>> >more than a month before new episodes showed up in a bittorrent
>> >archive.
>> >
>> >(That said, it seems like it would make sense to go ahead and archive
>> >previous years' archives in yearly batches - its not like those are
>> >going to change, so the issue of adding new episodes to them wouldn't
>> >matter).
>> >
>> >
>> >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >_______________________________________________
>> >Hpr mailing list
>> >Hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
>> >http://hackerpublicradio.org/mailman/listinfo/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 06:13:08 -0600
> From: Mike  Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>
> To: dg <dg at deepgeek.us>
> Cc: "hpr at hackerpublicradio.org" <hpr at hackerpublicradio.org>
> Subject: Re: [Hpr] Why no hpr torrent yet?
> Message-ID:
>         <CAF0qKV0MUVLp9ZysA=X0bjjHnBGM1YeNwVECU=KA-n2p9Wa-Lw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi DG,
> Like your show.
> When we have the shows hosted on archive.org you will have a built in
> torrent tracker.
>
> I was working on the archive.org uploader and show manager, right now
> am in a project and dont have time.
> but the plan is to have a simple command line tool for people to
> manage the shows, upload them to ftp and also publish them on
> archive.org, all from one simple python script.
>
> if anyone is interested in helping out, you can see my current code
> here https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/hacker-public-radio-publisher
>
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM, dg <dg at deepgeek.us> wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> What gives?  A sad day it is for me to realize, after listening to the
>> last HPR community news (where it was said "a few people slurped the
>> whole feed,") that I can't find a legal torrent for hpr?  I thought
>> surly archive.org would be torrenting our files, but they appear to not
>> be doing this.
>>
>> So I actually have 73 Gig on my zfs array available, but my collection
>> is a hodge-podge mix of mp3 and ogg.  I thought of doing it on my own
>> totally and claiming to be some kind of torrent hero, but I thought
>> better that I might first check to see if anybody made any attempts
>> along these lines and that my info was correct before proceeding.  It
>> would also be nice to know if anybody has a legal private tracker
>> before trying to duplicate effort.
>>
>> I'm thinking that if even a third of this list can seed just when they
>> are home at their computer, we can have a pretty good torrent going
>> into the future, relieving bandwidth on the main server and possibly
>> averting web bottlenecks and unnecessary bandwidth issues.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether or not to start with the first one thousand eps
>> of the speex or ogg format.  I guess the mp3 might be more poplar (and
>> might cut bandwidth needs better, as those files are the largest) but I
>> come here to brainstorm before doing anything.
>>
>> Ken, is it possible that I could get a password into the main servers
>> ftp to do one big efficient slurp sometime in the future?  Or do you
>> have any sneaky tar files anywhere?
>>
>> yours,
>> ---
>> DG
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Hpr mailing list
>> Hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
>> http://hackerpublicradio.org/mailman/listinfo/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org
>
>
>
> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
> Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:07:39 +0000
> From: "davidglennwhitman at gmail.com" <davidglennwhitman at gmail.com>
> To: "hpr at hackerpublicradio.org" <hpr at hackerpublicradio.org>
> Subject: [Hpr] Invitation: Discuss the HPR banner design @ Tue Nov 26,
>         2013 6pm - 7pm (davidglennwhitman at gmail.com)
> Message-ID: <bcaec508f6f2ff555404ec16adc4 at google.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"; Format="flowed";
>         DelSp="yes"
>
> You have been invited to the following event.
>
> Title: Discuss the HPR banner design
> Join me to talk about Danny's offer to donate a new HPR event banner. He is
> waiting for direction on what artwork to use. We may record the discussion
> for a future episode. Everyone is invited.
> When: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6pm ? 7pm Pacific Time
> Where: Mumble at the HPR room
> Calendar: davidglennwhitman at gmail.com
> Who:
>      * David Whitman - organizer
>      * hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
>
> Event details:
> https://www.google.com/calendar/event?action=VIEW&eid=a25tcHYxZjI2bGFva2txNzFmbTJsY2pxdGcgaHByQGhhY2tlcnB1YmxpY3JhZGlvLm9yZw&tok=MjcjZGF2aWRnbGVubndoaXRtYW5AZ21haWwuY29tN2IyNjU4MDVjNjc0OGE0MjdiNjUwYTNmY2RkNTFmOTU4MmM5YzE4Mw&ctz=America/Los_Angeles&hl=en
>
> Invitation from Google Calendar: https://www.google.com/calendar/
>
> You are receiving this courtesy email at the account
> hpr at hackerpublicradio.org because you are an attendee of this event.
>
> To stop receiving future notifications for this event, decline this event.
> Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at
> https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for
> your entire calendar.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://hackerpublicradio.org/pipermail/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org/attachments/20131126/9ec73cba/attachment.html>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: text/calendar
> Size: 1405 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://hackerpublicradio.org/pipermail/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org/attachments/20131126/9ec73cba/attachment.bin>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: invite.ics
> Type: application/ics
> Size: 1441 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://hackerpublicradio.org/pipermail/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org/attachments/20131126/9ec73cba/attachment-0001.bin>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hpr mailing list
> Hpr at hackerpublicradio.org
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/mailman/listinfo/hpr_hackerpublicradio.org
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of Hpr Digest, Vol 62, Issue 19
> ***********************************




More information about the Hpr mailing list