[Hpr] 2013-14 New Years 24-hour show

George sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Tue Oct 15 20:29:35 PDT 2013

So, I've been thinking about this a bit since we were talking in IRC
about the problems from last year with the "bots" connecting to each of
the streaming servers.  Since we have some time, and Bert just said he
has an IceCast server, I thought I might suggest a different
architecture...

Basically, instead of having a "bot" for each of the stream servers,
have just one bot feeding one of the IceCast servers, and configured
that server as a relay server to the others...  So instead the layout
would look something like this:

[Mumble Clients / VoiP] -> [Murmur Server] ->[IceCast Relay Server]-|
          (Relays From IceCast Server to Public Streams)             |
   |----------|-----------|----------|-----------------<-------------|
[Stream 1] [Stream 2] [Stream 3] [Stream 4]
   |            |         |          |
   |------------|---------|----------|----<-----[Load Balancer / Front
End]

This would simplify things a bit by only needing one bot to be on the
Murmur server, which could be set up so more people have access to
restart it in case it messes up.  Granted it becomes a single point of
failure, but last year the problem was that we had several bots that
only certain people had access to.  This way we can have one bot that we
can have 5 or 6 people be able to restart.

The IceCast Relay Server would be (at least to my way of thinking) a
private server only serving the function of relaying to the other stream
servers.

Anyway, just tossing this out there for discussion.

George

On 2013-10-14 18:31, Bert Yerke wrote:
> I still have the icecast server configured from last year. I'll have it
> going
> for you.
>
> Bert
>
> On Monday, October 14, 2013 05:27:52 PM Kevin Wisher wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> We are roughly around 10 weeks away from the next 24-hour New
> Year's show.
>> This a call out for all parties who are interested in helping with
>> this
>> year's show. We mainly need to make arrangements for a Mumble
> server and a
>> few streaming servers. If you have any of these resources available
> then
>> please send me your name, email address, available resources, and
>> day/time that is convenient for you to meet on-line on a Mumble
> server for
>> organizational purposes.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Kwisher on IRC
>>
>> kevin dot wisher at gmail dot com

We need to heed the words of the Dalai Lama,
Or at least, the words of your mama.