[Hpr] 2013-14 New Years 24-hour show

George sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Wed Oct 16 06:46:52 PDT 2013

Was it BlackIce that was causing the time out, or was it the Mumble
client? (If my memory was sufficiently tickled yesterday it was the
Mumble client.)

I don't think dropping the public MP3 streams is a good idea.  Yes
Android and Linux support Ogg just fine.  But, unfortunately, Windows
and Apple products do not.  Plus, if my faulty memory serves me
correctly, we had more listeners on the MP3 streams than the Ogg
streams. :(

I don't know, right off, if IceCast can stream MP3->OGG or OGG->MP3.
(Investigating.)  If it can, that might be advantageous as it would cut
down the bandwidth between the murmur server and the IceCast Relay
server, and the Relay server to the public stream servers.  Basically,
push the transcoding out to the end-points.

That might also help reduce any lag that was due to bandwidth overhead
issues (but not any other sources for lag).

George