[Hpr] Queue Status, Backup Shows, and Prioritization Systems (oh my)

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Oct 21 09:15:00 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-21 17:57, epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net wrote:

> > Has the unthinkable ever been thought? ie: That perhaps, two (or
> more) shows
>
> > could release on the same day?
>

> Oh, boy, has it ever :-)
>

> Before the relatively recent rework of the queuing system, this would
> come up as a suggestion from various people (including me) for times
> when there were two months worth of shows in the queue and anyone who
> wasn't new could easily end up going through the work of making an
> episode and then not having anybody here it for three months or more.
>

> Now that the rework is done, this is much less of an issue. Sometimes
> it could still end up being months before a show pops up in the
> RSS/Atom feed, but now it can be heard immediately directly from the
> website.
>
> (And while the official Hacker Public Radio feed doesn't, probably
> will never, and perhaps shouldn't ever release more than one episode
> in a day, there's now nothing stopping someone else from creating a
> separate feed that pops up however many they want to present in a day.)

Actually we only "release" one show a work week day but all the future
shows are available in the rss feed for anyone that wants them as soon
as they are scheduled.

The first time run:
http://hackerpublicradio.org/hpr_ogg_rss.php?gomax=1&full=1

Then run
http://hackerpublicradio.org/hpr_ogg_rss.php?gomax=1
to get all shows as they get added to the queue.

> > The backup shows are the only shows I'll never get to listen to,
> unless the
>
> > queue empties.
>

> That's a good point, though. All of the regular shows now get assigned
> an episode number as soon as they are uploaded and therefore become
> available for listening as soon as any necessary transcoding is done.
>

> The "backup" shows by definition haven't been assigned an episode
> number yet because they're for "backup" - they get assigned a number
> and shoved into the queue in emergency situations where there is no
> regular episode available (i.e. probably this week :-) ).
>
> Perhaps the backup shows could have a page of their own where they can
> be found, with <audio> tags and so forth to be listened to before
> they've become official HPR episodes? (Or is their hidden nature
> intentional i.e. "this episode I made is stupid, so I don't want
> anyone to hear it unless there is no other option"? I could imagine
> myself making an episode like that...)

Right now the backup shows are a big comfey blankey that the HPR
community have to know that if everything is used up then these shows
are there so I don't need to record a show. I believe that scheduling
them all will place the responsibility for the queue back with the HPR
Community. It will further democratise HPR and reduce the responsibility
and importance of the "admin" role.

Are you with me !!!!