[Hpr] Hpr Digest, Vol 61, Issue 13

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Oct 21 09:35:08 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-21 18:26, Patrick Dailey wrote:

>     From: epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
>     <mailto:epicanis%2Bhpr at dogphilosophy.net>
>     To: hpr at hackerpublicradio.org <mailto:hpr at hackerpublicradio.org>
>     Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:13:09 -0400
>     Subject: [Hpr] Queue Status, Backup Shows, and Prioritization
>     Systems (oh my)
>
>     > If people are not sending shows in because of the backup queue,
>     I would
>
>     > just prefer to schedule all the backup shows and be done with it.
>
>     >

>     > Has anyone any objection to me scheduling all the backup shows now ?
>

>     Personally, I'd prefer to KEEP the backup shows as "backup"
>     buffer. Rather
>
>     than stopping me from sending in shows, it makes it possible for
>     me to say
>
>     "Oh, good, the backup shows will give me a couple of days to
>     record something
>
>     before HPR goes silent" rather than "Oh, crap, HPR is empty and I
>     don't have time
>
>     to record something that doesn't suck."
>

>     (Yes, I know what you're thinking: "But, Epicanis, it's okay if it
>     sucks, it's not
>
>     like we have a Hacker Public Radio Quality Control Agent standing
>     next to
>
>     you pointing a flamethrower at your head if your episode sucks".
>     That's not
>
>     entirely true though, it's just that the agent is in my head
>     instead of standing
>
>     next to me...I can cope with me making an episode that sucks
>     because I'm deluded
>
>     or chose a bad topic or whatever, but not because I was just sloppy.
>

>     That's just me, though.)
>

> I also like to have the backup queue. I don't think it actually stops
> anyone from posting a show, but it may serve as a warning to
> procrastinators (not that/I /know any of /those/) to get off their a$$
> and post a show.
>
> --
> Thank You,
> Patrick Dailey

The whole backup queue is just a legacy of our old scheduling system.
With the graph on http://hackerpublicradio.org/calendar.php it's obvious
to everyone when we need shows. The fact that the backup shows are there
are preventing shows coming in and giving an inaccurate view of the
queue. From a transparency point of view we should release the entirity
of what we have.

Don't worry you will be informed when there are not enough shows in the
queue. I was never embarresed to ask for shows before and I am not now.

But to be honest I would prefer people to be looking at the graph from
time to time and trying to get it from a shark fin to a flat line shape.
You have the power to decide when your shows are scheduled so please do
that.