[Hpr] Is it Spam ?

George sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Wed Sep 25 06:32:12 PDT 2013

I think HPR should be honored: it's become a high enough priority to get
SPAM posted to HPR that it's being custom written.

One way to look at this and decide it's SPAM is to look at the
geolocation information vs the message content.  He states "...wiss
expat
> currently in the United States..."  But, his IP address is:

IP Address:	213.3.49.246
IP Host:	cust.dyn.213-3-49-246.swisscomdata.ch
Continent:	Europe (EU)
Country:	 Switzerland   (CH)
State:	Unknown
City:	 Unknown
ISP:	 Bluewin
Organization:	Swisscom Fixnet
Time zone:	Europe/Zurich

Why would a Swiss expat in the US have a Swiss IP address?  Sure it
could be a tunnel, but seriously?  It doesn't add up...

George

On 2013-09-25 05:52, Ken Fallon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As one of my daily chores it to filter comment spam. Usually it's
> pretty easy to decide, but this one is probably spam but I'm not 100%
> sure.
>
> It's on episode http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1229 where
> Helvetin describes how to switch keyboar layouts.
>
> It just got this comment.
>
>  #698 - Student insurance Switzerland - 09/24/2013 - 04:57 - Posted
> at: /eps.php?id=1229 - IP: 213.3.49.246 - Host: cust.dyn.213-3- ... -
> UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Wi ...
> Great for expats
> I wanted to thank you for providing this guide. As a swiss expat
> currently in the United States, reverting easily to my Swiss keyboard
> proved invaluable in saving what remained of my
> sanity.
>
> The link is obviously spam "Student insurance Switzerland", but they
> did at least read the show notes. Although in fairness at least they
> made an effort.
>
> So you decide "Is it Spam ?"
>
> Ken.

We need to heed the words of the Dalai Lama,
Or at least, the words of your mama.