[Hpr] Comment system, versus Forums versus disqus versus ...

George sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Sun Apr 6 15:40:19 PDT 2014

Okay,

So I will give some quick feedback here as I am probably fairly unusual
in terms of preferences.

Personally, I really dislike Disquss.  Primarily because it links
content across multiple sites and potentially to a social media account.
  I don't like the idea of having my comments from various places linked
together, especially when they are unrelated.  And, let's face it, these
days, with the NSA, GCHQ and other organizations snooping about, I see
no reason to leave an extra footprint that can be easily linked.

As for forums: I've thought about implementing a forum on my site.  But,
I decided against it for reason that it would require authentication.
This wouldn't be a problem in most situations (and in fact, I have some
plans for a project that will require users to have an account /
authenticate to use the site.  However, in cases where there is
controversial content authentication could potentially be off-puting to
some serious comments.

I know this may sound a bit paranoid and/or extremist, but I consider
these two points to be important in terms of my respect for the readers
of my site.  HPR's mileage may vary, of course.

George

---
We need to heed the words of the Dalai Lama,
Or at least, the words of your mama.