[Hpr] Should we publish the HPR downloads stats ?

Mon Jun 2 06:15:47 PDT 2014

stream-of-consciousness radio brings you this...

It will not be possible, nor would it be appropriate, for a show author to completely dis-regard the number of downloads of his/her show as a measure of it's relative quality. That being the case, it is worth developing a catalogue of things that can affect the count of downloads, other than the quality of the show.

- reputation of the author
- overall popularity of HPR
- season of the year
- day of the week
- popularity of the topic
- quality of the title
- quality of the show-notes
- availability of the HPR site

One might reasonably guess that the quality of the show is actually the least influential factor, because in order for a show's quality to affect the download count for the show, it must be known. For the show quality to be known, the show must be listened to, to be listened to, the show must be downloaded. So, unless the decision to download was based on word-of-mouth or a previous day's listen and then the loss or deletion of the file, it's unlikely that the quality of this particular show has anything to do with the download, at all.

All that said, show-quality probably still has some effect, whether that effect can be isolated and measured, is more than I can guess.

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.