[Hpr] We should publish the HPR downloads stats (in some form)

epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
Mon Jun 2 09:31:07 PDT 2014

On Monday, June 02, 2014 01:38:26 PM Ken Fallon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Should we include the number of downloads an episode gets on the website ?
>
> Some points to note:
> - The logs are generated every month so it would be from month to month.
> - hits are defined as 1 download per show per ip per day.
>
> We don't have any logs before Sep-2010 so do we
> a) ignore shows before that date even though they have been downloaded
> since then ?
> b) calculate some guesstimate for a base and add the downloads we do
> know about.
>
> My own main objection to doing this is that downloads are not a measure
> of worth of the show.
>
> Discuss.

I would suggest yes, though that's partly because I tend to always lean
towards having more information more readily available for just about any
context anyway. I'd even be interested in seeing both "downloaded" and
"listened from the web page" if it's possible to meaningfully estimate this
distinction. (I would assume both would show up in a total count of the log
anyway, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be to track those separately
unless we can assume a useful majority of downloaders send a "referer"
header.)

If not directly on the website, I would be very interested in having some way
to examine that information myself (i.e. if we don't want to put the number on
each episode's page, it would be nice to at least have downloads-per-episode
data updated regularly and posted somewhere for download and examination).
The more detailed, the better (it would be interesting to see if some shows
have a "spike" in downloads sometime after release due to being mentioned
somewhere else, for example).

I'd hypothesize that the main drivers of initial downloads would be the
apparent subject (as expressed by the title), followed by the show notes.
("Show Quality" can only affect downloads from referrals after release, since
you obviously have to download it to find out what the quality is like).

Having the data would (I further hypothesize) help a lot with "marketing" of
HPR by helping me and anyone else who's interested to figure out what kinds of
titles and what kinds of show-note information makes a show more likely to be
downloaded (plus what kinds of topics attract the most attention.) In the long
run, this might help "market" HPR better overall, attract an even bigger
audience, and by extension, more contributors, eventually culminating in
growing political power and wealth until the HPR elites destroy the world over
an argument regarding which among them get to rule Australia. (I may be
getting a little carried away there, but you get the idea.)

I'll even go a step further and say if the information is made available we
can get at least one HPR episode out of analysing it (possibly more than one
if anyone is interested in collaborating).