[Hpr] Backup shows

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Mar 3 01:34:12 PST 2014

On 2014-03-03 00:11, dg wrote:
> I think a back up que is nice, but I think anything over a year is
> excessive.  Even the most historical show would be, IMHO, stale.  I
> don't know if it's  hard to do, but expanding how far out the calendar
> goes is an option, but I don't understand how it all works.  This "also
> scheduled" thing at the end is interesting. You could just put backup
> shows a year out after they are submitted, I guess.  Is any "floating"
> possible for shows?!
>
> Just thoughts...
> ---
> Deepgeek

This is referring to the page: http://hackerpublicradio.org/calendar.php

All the scheduled shows are listed on this page. Those scheduled for the
next month are in the "Next Month" section and everything else is in the
"Also Scheduled" section. This allows access to all the shows without
the need to browse through loads of almost empty pages.

On 2014-03-03 00:14, Kevin Wisher wrote:
> I agree that 2 years is too long.

I agree also.

On 2014-03-03 00:43, someone ishere wrote:
> ... say on a weekend. HPR 7 days a week would be bloody awesome.
>
> --cobra2
> http://cctracker.org

If by bloody awesome you mean more work for everyone then yes but
actually no :)

Messing aside I am less opposed to this now that we auto release shows
than before, but I'm not sure that people are ready to
a) contribute more shows
b) listen to even more shows

On 2014-03-03 01:16, Klaatu wrote:
> I've kind of talked myself into a backup show sprint, where
> Timelessness is the key goal.
>
> - klaatu

Can you send me a chapter for the read-me file that describes the
requirements :)

On 2014-03-03 01:26, Beto Mendez wrote:
> This is like disaster recovery planning for podcasts.

As with every disaster recovery planning, we should do enough to recover
and no more.

On 2014-03-03 01:42, Nigel Verity wrote:> I certainly agree that shows
on technical subjects can quickly become
> I thinking of things like "how to fold a fitted sheet" which I
> genuinely found both charming and interesting.
>
> Regards
>
> Nige

And for years the surge of unfolded sheets will bring stress and angst
to the worlds hackers while we hoard the solution in a backup queue.

On 2014-03-03 04:21, David L. Willson wrote:> I suppose the backup show
queue is unneeded. I want to hear all the shows.
> If, as seems likely, we decide to keep a backup queue, I'd love to
> have a way to listen to them, even if we never run out of shows,
> which seems likely also.

Technically we could put a link on the website but .... I think the
backup queue is a crutch and we should remove it.

We as a community have now the responsibility for maintaining the health
of the queue and the backup shows takes the pressure off that problem
meaning it is only the admins that need to take action.

There is no reason why we all could not have a spare show on our home
computers and upload them in an emergency. That emergency would be
announced here on the list and that would give other people a chance to
step into the breach.

On 2014-03-03 07:32, Fifty OneFifty wrote:
> I vote when there are 4 weeks (20) shows in the backup  queue, each
> new backup show causes the oldest one to be dropped into the regular
> feed.

If we are doing a backup queue, this would be the easiest to manage.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com