[Hpr] Mobile recording device

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Fri Sep 12 03:37:35 PDT 2014

On 12/09/14 10:46, Beni Keller wrote:
> I'm looking for a mobile recording device that records with decent
> quality. Last year NYBill brought a Zoom to Oggcamp. I remember it being
> a nice device but he had to attach a external mic to not record the
> button sound and some scratching while holding it.
>
> Is there a similar device (in size and price) which can be used with the
> build in mic? I'd like to get one for Oggcamp to record some interviews.

Hi Beni,

Last year I brought my son's Tascam DR-07 Mk II. I use it with a
pocket-sized table-top tripod, and it can be placed on a table in front
of you and the interviewee. Alternatively, I find the tripod makes a
suitable handle and doesn't seem to transfer much sound to the
microphones. This device also picks up hand noise if held directly.

These recorders are not particularly cheap; you can pick them up on eBay
for under £100. There is also the Tascam DR-05, which is cheaper and
seems as functional, though I have no direct experience of it.

The Zoom that NYBill has is the best value for money I think, though I
believe it's no longer made. I think it also has a tripod mount and
could be managed like I do the Tascam.

The Zoom model that Ken Fallon uses takes a handle and so is a probably
a better choice for interviewing. When my son and I bought the Tascam
the newer Zoom had only just come out, but with hindsight we'd have
rather bought the Zoom.

I hope this helps a little.

Dave