[Hpr] Mobile recording device

epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
Fri Sep 12 11:01:30 PDT 2014

On Friday, September 12, 2014 11:46:15 AM Beni Keller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a mobile recording device that records with decent
> quality. Last year NYBill brought a Zoom to Oggcamp. I remember it being
> a nice device but he had to attach a external mic to not record the
> button sound and some scratching while holding it.
>
> Is there a similar device (in size and price) which can be used with the
> build in mic? I'd like to get one for Oggcamp to record some interviews.
>
> Thanks and cheers,
>
> Beni

Well, it wouldn't be a built-in microphone, but if Nady ever actually PRODUCES
the dang thing (that I ordered back in friggin' APRIL) I'm planning to do an
HPR episode review of this: http://www.nady.com/scm700.html

It's supposedly a "real" condenser microphone that'll run on the 5v trickle of
power from a cellphone/tablet/etc. without a separate power-supply, so you
could load something that'll encode lossless (e.g. "Rehearsal Assistant",
available on f-droid) and use this microphone to get a hypothetically easy
decent-quality portable digital audio recorder.

We'll see. This alleged product was originally labelled "usually ships in 7-14
business days" on B&H Photo's website when I ordered it in April, but Nady's
website said "Available in June 2014". Then June rolled by and it never showed
up (and B&H changed the label to "backordered" on their website), and
supposedly it would be available around Labor Day, when the website went back
to "7-14 business days".  Yesterday I was told beginning of October...

If it weren't the middle of peak toilet-scrubbing-and-toiling-in-the-lint-
mines season, I'd be more upset, but I won't have time to play with it until
sometime in October anyway...