[Hpr] Mobile recording device

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:42:42 PDT 2014

Hi

A decent built-in microphone will, of course, be a sensitive microphone. The more sensitive it is the more likely it is to pick up the sound of fingers scrabbling for the buttons. I have a Zoom H2 (about 3 years old) and the sound reproduction is fantastic, but the controls are very small and lacking in feel, and the display is almost illegible without a magnifier. For all that, I've had some very successful results from it.

If you're interviewing, lapel mikes are always a good idea because the distance between mouth and mike is more or less constant. That helps keep the levels more even.

A cheaper option is a device called an Easi-Speak.

http://www.learningresources.com/product/easi-speak--8482-+usb+recorder.do

It looks like a child's toy, and probably is intended as that if I'm honest, but the recording quality is excellent, though only mono. My daughter was given one but I've used it more than she has. Definitely worth a look if you're on a budget.

Regards

Nige