[Hpr] Community News (Completely Off-Topic)

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Wed Dec 9 10:46:14 PST 2015

On 2015-12-09 06:11, Frank Bell wrote:
> I listened to the Community News today.  I found the discussion about
shownotes
> towards the end to be most interesting.
I'm amazed someone actually made it to the end.

> Just out of idle curiosity, what am I supposed to look like?:) Inquiri
ng minds
> want to know.
Clark Gable

> As regards shownotes, I'm with Ken.  Keep it simple.  I am willing to
learn
> markdown if that's what HPR wants and I'm willing to learn stuff if ne
ed be.
> Having to learn stuff is one thing that keeps me fascinated by *nix.
>
> I do know my way around HTML; I'm not expert, but I get by.
>
> Nevertheless, I'm a big fan of plain text; that's one reason I like Mu
tt.
> And even when I use the Seamonkey mail client, I have it default to pl
ain text.
> If you have plain text, you can very easily edit it into into anything
 you want.

Plain text is great but we do run into a problem when someone wants to
add even the most basic of formatting to it.

Take for example his is a list
 - Cow
 - Dog
 - Cat

This is also a list
* Cow
* Dog
* Cat

and so is this

+ Cow
+ Dog
+ Cat

That will come out in one line unless we (aka Dave or myself) convert it
 to:

<ul>
  <li>Cow</li>
  <li>Dog</li>
  <li>Cat</li>
</ul>

Usually this is not a big deal but it prevents end to end automation.

What leads to most work is when someone *doesn't* pick a standard. We
have had lots of examples where plain flowing text is mixed with html,
with pre-formatted text, with what looks like markdown. This can take
hours to sort out.

So if there is any formatting in the text, it makes it a lot easier to
process if we pick a standard and use it correctly. But which of the
thousands, and what right do we have to dictate a standard to anyone ?

To me it seems logical that if it's going to end up in html5, but I fear
I may be a minority of one on that one. Again badly formatted html takes
me longer to sort out than unformatted text.

Another option is to add a javascript WYSIWYG editor like the one in
wordpress. However I fear that may not be very popular around here.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com